98 k1500 4wd not working!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push button. Yes when you put it in 4wd the front drive shaft turns

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the transfer case in 2wd (front shaft spins freely) you can take a long handle ratchet or prybar and put it in the hole where the actuator goes and manually push the engagement fork (might be able to do it with your fingers if they are long enough) in and see if you are able to turn the driveshaft. Driveshaft turns freely with the fork pressed in means differential issues. If you press it in and the front driveshaft engages and no longer spins freely the diff should be ok and start looking at things like fuses, bad switch, loose connectors, messed up wires and the like.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is in the diff. I'll try that tonight. If not I'll be tearing into it Friday morning to see what is broke.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure how close you are but I am in central Arkansas and have a couple front diffs with 3.73 gears I'll sell cheap but shipping would probably be expensive since they are so heavy. May be cheaper to go to your local yard. Good luck.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
not too far from me, but it is a little hike, if you wanna come up here im off the next two days and we can figure something out with it, i got my half tons here too.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I had an issue with mine doing this, where the actuator plugs in there is a second plug this plug caused my front end not to lock in