98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
one end its a but, the other some plastic clips puhs in and the whole line pulls out

Ah yes, I see how it works now, thanks.

Some guys have gotten the OEM lines rebuilt with new hose. That's probably the cheapest good way to go. The more expensive way would be to get custom lines built. The block side would need to be AN, and I have no idea what the radiator side is called, but it's got orings in it.

In order to connect the AN side to the block you would need a special adapter/connector. The block itself is pipe thread, but you can't go directly to that becasue you still need the baffle in one of the holes, or you will have no circulation through the oil cooler. https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dickey-parts-center/sd1540

I just disconnected my oil cooler...... cheapest simplest solution. I don't tow much, and when I do it's pretty light, so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks for that link, if I do decide to have custom ones built that'll definetly come in handy. I don't want to disconnect mine quite yet. I do tow quite often, usually a flatbed trailer full of quads or scrap, so just to be safe I'd like to keep it.

I wish I could drive another 454 with EFI live. I went the black bear performance route and I am impressed but it still "off" like it should have more power or something.

I am half tempted to pay for someone with similar mods and gears and the 454 EFI live setup to get a dyno done and then do one myself to compare. Good luck! I love your thread.

Oh, almost forgot. What is the advantage to the GM HD ignition you put on?

I'm patiently waiting for Lextech to send me the pinout sheet so I can put 'er on lol. And I think I have a guy here locally who can tune it, he's a wizard with diesels and he's done some work on gas engines although mainly corvettes and such, but we'll see what he can do. That ignition is just a rebadged MSD 6A, supposed to help with smoother idle and such, if it actually did anything I dunno, I had it so I put it on. And it hasn't caused any problems so I'm just gonna leave it.

Just read the whole thread.. Truck is bad a$$...

Live action!!

Your truck is absolutely fantastic! I wish I could find a shortbed as slick as yours.

Thanks guys.

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick at Duramax Tuner did my truck. I am a dealer for their products, but as you said, they do primarily Diesel stuff. I asked him if he was willing to take a peek and he did. I was looking for mileage, and honestly didn't get any of that really. lol But as far as power, it definately woke it up. I have since tried Jesse at Wait4Me, and I thought the truck ran less than stellar so to speak, and mileage still was unchanged. So I have learned to just accept the fact and deal with it.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Nick at Duramax Tuner did my truck. I am a dealer for their products, but as you said, they do primarily Diesel stuff. I asked him if he was willing to take a peek and he did. I was looking for mileage, and honestly didn't get any of that really. lol But as far as power, it definately woke it up. I have since tried Jesse at Wait4Me, and I thought the truck ran less than stellar so to speak, and mileage still was unchanged. So I have learned to just accept the fact and deal with it.

I'm familiar with Duramax Tuner, good stuff, if my guy doesn't work out I'll be giving them a call. Whatever performance/mileage gains I get I'll be happy with, anything is better than the stock tuning.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I just can't seem to win with this thing lately, now I'm having a coolant smell under the hood, and I have a wet spot on the front of the intake. My guess is someone replaced the intake gaskets and didn't correctly seal the front of the intake, replacing intake gaskets isn't exactly what I wanted to do on my Christmas break......oh well, $hit happens. Best fix it before it gets worse.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Got some work done of the ever growing to-do list today.

1) FINALLY changed out the pre-cat 02's. Passenger side was a major pain in the butt thanks to it's location. There is no room to squeeze more than one hand in there, had to get creative to get to the connector.

2) Re-did my redneck driveway alignment with some help from my lovely girlfriend. Much better now, it does look like I have some play in my pitman and idler, so those will be getting added to the to-do list for later on when it's not so cold out.

3) Rotated my tires and aired them back up to 65 PSI, I still had them at 45 from when I was driving in fields all the time during the summer/fall.

4) Topped off the fluid in the rear differential, almost a quart low, YIPES!! Hope I didn't hurt anything, I don't hear any whining from it so I think I caught it just in time.

5) Greased the front end components again, everything but the tie-rods (replaced them over the summer) has ripped/cracked boots so all the grease loves to seep out.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Any updates or pics? Really like the truck

Just been driving it. It's going to get a little love come tax time. I will be converting the rocker arms to an adjustable set-up and swapping in 1.72 roller rockers and hopefully 3/8" pushrods while I'm in there. Intake manifold gaskets will also get replaced at that time. That is IF I can find valve guide plates for 3/8" pushrods that have a 3/8" stud hole. I have an email into comp cams whose parts I'm using for everything else on the swap so hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

I did order some window tint for it today, precut 10% kit off Ebay. And a flowmaster y-pipe so I can run a different muffler on it. I have a 3.5" single in/single out that I've tried to sell with no luck. So I decided to run it, should uncork the ole' girl a little bit.

And hopefully at some point I can get the 411 PCM swapped over so I can start doing some tuning on this thing, but I need to have the motor in good running order first.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Ordered conversion rocker studs, 1.72 rockers, and 3/8" pushrods, that should give me a good weekend project.

I did install that 10% tint, hated it, way too dark. Couldn't see out of my mirrors at night, came off the next day. Did make the truck look Bada$$ though. I will be re-doing the tint in the future, but this time somewhere around 35%.

The muffer and y-pipe are patiently sitting on the workbench in the garage waiting to be installed.

I will also be ordering a pitman & idler arm soon, as well as having new oil cooler lines made, this thing is just bound and determined to take every bit of my tax return lol. And I haven't even started on the PCM swap and tuning yet......

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Decided what the heck and went ahead and ordered the pitman and idler.

Also traded a set of PY0's for a set of cab corners (winter finally killed my drivers side) and braking trailer axles (my trailer has old mobile home ones).

Also ordered a new chain and igniton switch for the Honda 300ex this week.

It's a darn good thing my ole' lady doesn't have access to my bank account......

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Valvetrain parts are here!!!! Hopefully can get those along with the new muffler on it this weekend.

I also PM'd Mike about getting EFI Live and tuning the 411 that I've had sitting on my workbench for quite some time now. I'm gettting all sorts of excited for this thing.