'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I gave the 'Ol Burban a bath today.

I especially paid close attention to the wheels and tires.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what caused your airbag to go off? I’ve swapped out SRS/Airbag modules before on other cars and haven’t had any issues so far.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the exhaust manifold and get those broken bolts out. If you run it long enough with the exhaust leaking it will literally blow torch the heads and after that it will never be leak free. Once you have all the bolts functional use Remflex gaskets and you will never have a leak again. Use ARP bolts.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the exhaust manifold and get those broken bolts out. If you run it long enough with the exhaust leaking it will literally blow torch the heads and after that it will never be leak free. Once you have all the bolts functional use Remflex gaskets and you will never have a leak again. Use ARP bolts.
I think I'm just going to buy one of these.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to be rude but it won’t work. Remove the manifold, get the broken bolts out and the. Use Remflex gaskets. Or carry on in the wrong direction
I don't really see why one of these brackets wouldn't work? Though it's a shortcut, it seems like a pretty effective one.

Could you elaborate on why it won't work?

I guess drilling these bolts out and putting helicoils in it just sounds like hell to me (they're broken off below the surface). I've heard of people cracking heads in situations like this.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Effective bolt extraction separates the real mechanics from the wannabes.

Preface) Make sure you have good drill bits and a clear path to holding the drill bit straight.
1) Center punch the bolt before you start. If it's broken off at a slant, it's gonna be a b!+ch.
2) Start with a 1/8" bit and drill down the center, keeping it absolutely as centered as possible. Going all the way through the bolt is good. Going deeper into the head is not.
3) Drill it out to your extractor size.
4) Set your extractor in the hole. I like to give it a single tap with a small hammer to help set it, some people don't.
5) Using firm downward pressure, start turning the bolt out.
6) Watch the extractor and bolt. If the extractor starts flexing and the bolt isn't moving, reassess. You REALLY don't want the extractor breaking off in the hole.
7) If it won't come loose, drill the bolt out close to the size of the threads.
8) Try and use a punch to collapse the bolt remnants inward so you can pull them out or use a pick to rotate them out.
9) If you can't get the remnants to collapse, carefully run a tap down the threads. You'll be starting and backing out often to clean out what you can.
10) If you dork up the threads, drill it out one size larger, tap it, and install a helicoil.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I started to notice a bit of positive camber on the Burb the other day and decided to investigate.

Turns out that my upper ball joints failed me after just 2 years (they're looser than the originals were before I replaced them).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This premature faliure may be attributed to a few factors such as a lack of grease, water ingress (I forded a few rivers), or maybe the fact that I only spent $6 on each of them.

Needless to say, I'm going to spend a bit more money this time, and also just do the whole rest of the front end while I'm at it.