98 and 97 k1500 silverado's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thule

Reaction score
hi guys, just found this forum,

i have always liked the gmt400 look, but never owned one,

couple of months ago i was driving past a local chevrolet dealership, and saw a C/K sitting there among sparkz and cruize's. of course i had to check it out,

it turned out to be a 98 k1500 z71, extended cab with the rear 3rd door, the car looked like an super nice example, when i checked the history it was a 1 owner car, with documented service history from day one, 170k on the clock, but it looks and feels like a -100k car, i bougth the car on the spot and have used it as a semi work truck and personal daily driver since, and what a nice truck it turned out to be.

it has the 350 vortec with the electrical shifted transfer case (buttons) silverado trim level, dark rear windows and is completely stock, only thing i've done to it is open up the exhaust, just to get some sound in it,

i actually think i will try to keep this one stock, its so unmolested and original,
You must be registered for see images

few weeks ago i was surfing the web and stumbled on a 97 k1500, the ad said that the car had no motor and had sat for a long time, when i looked at the picture i saw that the car had the tan interior, with center console, and leather upholstery, that would look awesome in the blue car, also i need new window in the drivers door, so i bougth the car unseen, and went on a road trip to get it,
the car was located around 350 miles from me, 350 miles of icelandic mountain roads that is,

when i finally arrived and walked up to the car i cant say other than i was surprised, it was a 2 owner car, with 100k miles on the clock, this one is loaded with options, it has the overhead console, cd magasine, z71 package, 3 door cab, auto dimming mirror, leather, center console, electric seats..
but i what i did not expect was how clean the car was, it looks as clean as the blue one,

the story is that the in 09 the 2nd owner bought the car and intended to swap a 6.5 diesel in to it, he took the 350 vortec and sold it, but never kept on, so the car just sat there from 09, he didn't remove anything else from the car, it still has the auto, transfr case, wiring loom, ECU,

the only thing that is wrong with the body is that the bottom of the 3rd door is rusted out, the rest of the body is probably the most solid C/K body i've seen for years, the rear lower corners of the cab dont even have bubles in the paint, and the interior is like new.

its kinda funny that because how solid it turned out to be, im an not sure what to to with it, i was going to part it, but i cant help the feeling that it would be a damn shame to part out such a solid car,

where it sat for almost 6 years

pulled on to the tarmac,

the interior is almost like new

on the trailer, the road trip was around 650 miles, the blue one did not complain at all, not even in the 10% uphills,

arrived at my garage

washed it, and look how straigth it is, the paint is really nice also

hope you liked this.

best regards, ívar-iceland

Last edited:

white97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the aluminum running boards on the blue truck probably saved the body I know it's saved my 97.
please do not part out the green truck it's to clean of a truck.

Thule

Reaction score
one idea was to just switch the parts i originally wanted between them and sell or store the green one, another idea is too do something fun with it, swap a diesel in it and lift it up a bit, another idea is to just store it until i get bored some day, and then have a project to start,

but wich one.. i am having a hard time finding out :) i had kinda promised myself to start working on my cadillac as a next project,

yes i guess the running boards have saved alot, this car has bin here in reykjavík all of its life, the roads here are salted all winter long, and you can kinda say that the winter lasts most of the year here, the green one was out in the countryside, no salt, there must have bin water in the 3rd door, its the only rust at all in the car

white97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if I were you I wouldn't swap over the interior parts you wanted from the green truck to the blue since the blue truck is so clean. what I would do is put the 6.5 in, lift it like you said and use it as a fun exploration type truck.

Thule

Reaction score
i would really like a 6.5 turbo from a similar model year, but i haven't found any over here, only thing i have found is an 6.2. i kinda dont want that old motor in it,

actually one of my dreams for the blue one has bin to swap a duramax/allison in it, the green one would be ideal for something like that, but that would be rather costly, at least for now

Thule

Reaction score
thank you :)

just installed a new radiator to the 98 car, the old one started to leak,

funny, i was never sure about the running boards, but after i got the green car, i really like them one the blue one

17 years and 179k miles have not hurt this car much, that must be said