98 5.7L won't start sometimes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IronCladMax

Reaction score
I've got a 1998 gmc K1500 5.7l auto with 189k and I'm absolutely baffled. About once a month at random my truck will refuse to run. I'll let it prime for 1-2 sec and usually bumping the key is enough for to to come to life, however with this problem I'll bump the key and it will come to life and then die like I just turned the key off. Holding the key after it turns off just turns the motor over. Unplugging to coil and letting it turn over a few times and then repluging it in fixes the problem and it runs like a top untill it happens again.

ChopTop

Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts, have you checked the fuel pump recently? If it's fine, then you need to check the ignition switch. Thw connections like to go limp after a little while.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can rule out the fuel pump, this seems like the problem I had with the VATS anti theft device. It wants to start, but it shuts right down. My truck is similar: 1998 Chevy C1500, 5.7 auto, 225,000 miles.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Did you ever get it figured out? What was the problem and how much $$ did it cost to fix,if you don't mind me asking? Thanks