98 5.7 vortec 1 7/8 crimped - hurting power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One piece of the Y has one cat, and the other piece of the Y has the other cat.

Unless of course your half ton is a 4.3 or 5.3 truck. Then the Y is designed differently with a single cat after the head pipes combine.

If we're nitpicking, we might as well cover everything.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Unless of course your half ton is a 4.3 or 5.3 truck. Then the Y is designed differently with a single cat after the head pipes combine.

Remember that the thread (derailed as it may be) is titled "98 5.7 vortec 1 7/8 crimped - hurting power?"

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Remember that the thread (derailed as it may be) is titled "98 5.7 vortec 1 7/8 crimped - hurting power?"

Indeed, but with all the derailment going on I just figured it couldn't hurt to point out that difference.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Actually if we are talking 800's with an LS platform, that y pipe is beautiful! I have one from a 2000 4.8 2wd and the pipe is MUCH larger and it has nice bends.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually if we are talking 800's with an LS platform, that y pipe is beautiful! I have one from a 2000 4.8 2wd and the pipe is MUCH larger and it has nice bends.

I've actually never seen an 800 Y pipe, the one I'm referring to is this little guy. #5 on the diagram. (Sorry, I couldn't find any real pictures of the part on Google and my V6 truck is in storage right now.)

You must be registered for see images attach

It's definitely nicer than the half ton 350 Y. Still some questionable areas, like where the head pipes combine right before the cat. I ended up replacing mine with Magnaflow part number 23457. Basically the same deal, but with slightly nicer bends and junctions.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The y pipe that I had on my 01 had a nice wide diameter, but also had 2 converters built in.

98sierraslt4x4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first vortec I have had. I am an LS guy by heart. I have a 2000 cammed trans am with Long tubes off road x 3" pipping tuned out cats and egr so i guess i am just used to seeing some sewer size pipping.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: For science!

EDIT - While you're paying for dyno time, get a before and after with just the Y pipe swapped out. Then we can finally get a conclusion to this thread.