98 3500 dually 454 mods????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently bought a 98 454 dually getting painted soon so looking for some good mods and reliability adders…. Trucks awesome no rust and seems to do great but looking ahead to what I can do now days where most parts are discontinued???
Everything Shurkey said......
Before even painting it, change all the fluids--all of them. Flush the systems where feasible.
Start with the radiator, end with the rear diff. Everything in-between.
we ride utvs a lot and love the 90s Chevys my favorite body and just overall truck.
we are buying a toy hauler and bought it to haul it and have the bed for fire wood and everything. I've owned hundreds of the 1500s but never the 3500 454 vortec. it has the cam and crank correlation code so I'm doing a distributor and full tune up as soon as parts come in. truck has 169,000 miles so should just be getting broke in to me lolol.
You have owned hundreds of OBS 1500's? Cool.......
If you have a crank-cam correlation code it generally isn't the distributor's fault, regardless of the motor. But the distributors do go bad. Pull the cap off and see how much you can turn the rotor back and fourth. Should have zero play.
Pull the crank sensor and see if it has been hit by the reluctor.

Sasquatch98

Reaction score
Everything Shurkey said......
Before even painting it, change all the fluids--all of them. Flush the systems where feasible.
Start with the radiator, end with the rear diff. Everything in-between.

You have owned hundreds of OBS 1500's? Cool.......
If you have a crank-cam correlation code it generally isn't the distributor's fault, regardless of the motor. But the distributors do go bad. Pull the cap off and see how much you can turn the rotor back and fourth. Should have zero play.
Pull the crank sensor and see if it has been hit by the reluctor.
there's been a few.... lol mostly pre 95
but the rotor has play and seems to be a little sloppy on the distributor side of things.
haven't got to put it on the rack yet but I will def check the crank sensor for rubbing I didn't think about that... thank you!

Sasquatch98

Reaction score
I don't know..... I have almost 300K miles and have never pulled it. I would start by just adjusting it and/or checking it for slop, not replacing it. It is reccomended that you buy an AC Delco cap/rotor, as the cheapys tend to go bad quickly.
yes the cheap do not last long if they are even good... bought one for the 96 I have in my profile pic and the relator wheel was pressed on in wrong position.
so from there on AC Delco only distributor!