97 W/T to Silverado grill conversion question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brett Rauber

Reaction score
Trying to convert my 97 W/T over to a Silverado grill and lighting. Got the grill/lights/wiring and went to do the switchover tonight. When I went to put on the Silverado grill I noticed that none of the mounting tabs line up and it also doesn't come anywhere near the mounting spots on the rad support. I've read all of the write-ups and it sounds like there shouldn't be any other parts I need but something is way wrong.

Is there maybe a different filler panel that goes from the rad support to the grill when converting? Although even if that's the case none of the other mounting points are close either. I don't know the exact year of the new grill that I bought but it looks like any other 94-98 Silverado grill.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I was under the impression that this was really straight-forward but something is sure off.

Thanks!

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I know that there is supposed to be a difference in the filler panel behind the bumper. I just grabbed the one from the donor truck when I got the grille.

Maybe a pic or two of what you're dealing with?

Last edited:

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Usin an oem grille? I know the aftermarket one i have is a lil off in some spots. I try to ignore it. Also has the truck ever been hit that u know of? I did this on my sisters w/t n had zero issues.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I just did this on my 96 not long ago, and was very easy, even using an aftermarket grille. I was also able to use the filler behind the bumper from the W/T grille, which I wasn't expecting. It was cracked, but held me over until I got another one.

I'd post some pics, but this tablet is not cooperating. There some in my build thread, linked at the bottom of my post.

theunderlord

Reaction score
Anyone have details on the wiring for the light difference going from W/T to Composite? LMC sells this but it's unclear if that is needed.

I've searched and searched, and since a ton of the "how to threads" are all so old, the hyperlinks are broken, or the pictures are no longer hosted. A lot of the places people used to suggest to get these parts are no longer in business or go by other names unfortunately. "like one guy was like, yeah, just go get it from stylintrucks" lol.

click here for the video

That video is extremely helpful, but that install obviously need any different wiring.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Usin an oem grille? I know the aftermarket one i have is a lil off in some spots. I try to ignore it. Also has the truck ever been hit that u know of? I did this on my sisters w/t n had zero issues.
I had the same issue with an aftermarket chrome bumper that I got from the j/y, it literally wouldn't fit lmao.

theunderlord

Reaction score
Anyone have details on the wiring for the light difference going from W/T to Composite? LMC sells this but it's unclear if that is needed.

I've searched and searched, and since a ton of the "how to threads" are all so old, the hyperlinks are broken, or the pictures are no longer hosted. A lot of the places people used to suggest to get these parts are no longer in business or go by other names unfortunately. "like one guy was like, yeah, just go get it from stylintrucks" lol.

click here for the video

That video is extremely helpful, but that install obviously need any different wiring.
Just wanted to report back that Mr.Tailight.com has the wiring kit, and is generally a KICK ASS website that sells great stuff for our trucks and others.