94 gmc grille conversion to chevy grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildfire

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a '94 silverado but someone changed the grill to a gmc version. I'd like to reconvert this to a chevy version and I found one here in Belgium.

My question: can I just swap them out like that or will I need other parts to make it fit?
Reason I'm asking : here in belgium it's hard to find extra (OEM) parts so I would need to be sure I can do the conversion without to much hassle.

this is what's on it now:
You must be registered for see images attach

and this is what i am offered (they told me it's a 95-99 chevy grille) :

Thank you very much for your help!

wildfire

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info!
Can someone tell me what year the chevy grille on the picture is?
I'm going to see if i can order the cornering and marker lights but just want to be sure i order the correct ones. ( Or are they all the same through the years? )

Sorry for al the questions, newbie here :p

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That grille is the '94-'98 style, and that's the years you'll need to order for, to get the correct pieces. Rock Auto has these, and some of them are not very expensive. And they don't weigh much so shipping (hopefully!) won't be ridiculous.
You also want to be sure you get the 8 plastic nuts for the front turn signal lenses. Those probably don't come with the grille, but you'll need them because that's what the mounting screws for those lenses screw into.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a '94 silverado but someone changed the grill to a gmc version. I'd like to reconvert this to a chevy version and I found one here in Belgium.

My question: can I just swap them out like that or will I need other parts to make it fit?
Reason I'm asking : here in belgium it's hard to find extra (OEM) parts so I would need to be sure I can do the conversion without to much hassle.

this is what's on it now:

and this is what i am offered (they told me it's a 95-99 chevy grille) :

Thank you very much for your help!
Welcome to the forum! Always cool to see these trucks in countries you wouldn't expect them in.

You've got great answers already on the swap. Hang that GMC grille on your wall in case you run across someone looking for one!

Since that Chevy grille you're getting is new and doesn't have any of the extra pieces attached (like the corner marker lenses) it also does not have the Chevy emblem; you'll need that and the nuts that attach it, same style nuts (speed nuts) as used on the corner lenses. You may notice the Chevy emblem shape on the center grille bar isn't fully formed, that's because it's an aftermarket grille and the symbol is copyrighted. The emblem will pretty much cover it but a picky person would notice.

Richard

wildfire

Reaction score
That grille is the '94-'98 style, and that's the years you'll need to order for, to get the correct pieces. Rock Auto has these, and some of them are not very expensive. And they don't weigh much so shipping (hopefully!) won't be ridiculous.
You also want to be sure you get the 8 plastic nuts for the front turn signal lenses. Those probably don't come with the grille, but you'll need them because that's what the mounting screws for those lenses screw into.
Thanks for the info on the plastic screws, would have forgotten to order those for sure!

wildfire

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Always cool to see these trucks in countries you wouldn't expect them in.

You've got great answers already on the swap. Hang that GMC grille on your wall in case you run across someone looking for one!

Since that Chevy grille you're getting is new and doesn't have any of the extra pieces attached (like the corner marker lenses) it also does not have the Chevy emblem; you'll need that and the nuts that attach it, same style nuts (speed nuts) as used on the corner lenses. You may notice the Chevy emblem shape on the center grille bar isn't fully formed, that's because it's an aftermarket grille and the symbol is copyrighted. The emblem will pretty much cover it but a picky person would notice.

Richard
Thanks for the welcome! And yes there aren't many of those OBS riding around here but let's hope I can get this one on the road again :)
On paper ( and on the steering wheel,... ) it's a chevy, but one of the previous owners must have changed the grill to a gmc version.
Reading through the forum I already thought it would be an aftermarket version but it's the only one they have so guess I'll have to go with it.
Shipping another grill to europe would cost me more then the grille itself. :) Let's hope I can find the right size of bowtie that goes along with the grille.

anyway: I'm very glad to have found this forum. I have a lot of reading to do and if I cant' find stuff, I'll ask.

Please bear with me when I ask newbie questions :)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! And yes there aren't many of those OBS riding around here but let's hope I can get this one on the road again :)
On paper ( and on the steering wheel,... ) it's a chevy, but one of the previous owners must have changed the grill to a gmc version.
Reading through the forum I already thought it would be an aftermarket version but it's the only one they have so guess I'll have to go with it.
Shipping another grill to europe would cost me more then the grille itself. :) Let's hope I can find the right size of bowtie that goes along with the grille.

anyway: I'm very glad to have found this forum. I have a lot of reading to do and if I cant' find stuff, I'll ask.

Please bear with me when I ask newbie questions :)
Not a problem, we were all newbies on these trucks at one time! I myself have learned SO much on here, from the other members, and I pay it forward by helping those that I can.
@someotherguy is correct about the bowtie, I saw that but forgot to mention it. The factory replacement bowties are expensive, but it's difficult to find these in good condition used, even in the US. I have a suburban with a new grille that's currently without the bowtie for that reason.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FYI, the GM part number for the gold bowtie that fits the '94+ Chevy grilles is 12542999. Pretty sure they're discontinued by GM now, but the part number might help you find one.