97 silverado jerky steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDPosse

Reaction score
I have a 97 silverado with 201k miles on the clock. About 2 years ago, I replaced the power steering pump and the power steering pressure line with new 1996 silverado parts from rockauto, to eliminate the jerkiness of the non functioning variable-assist steering.
At first, it was wonderful. Nice, even power assist from lock to lock. Unfortunately, over the past few months, the jerkiness, and sometimes total lack of power steering has returned. Sometimes, I will get no assist, and have to really muscle the wheel using both hands, and then mid-turn it will suddenly go to full assist. I do not understand how this is happening, since the variable assist valve was removed. Also, the steering still acts completely normal after a cold start, and it acts up worse as it gets warm.
Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions as to what is happening?
Thanks!!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
If you didn't replace the box too, the valve is still in there as far as I know.