97 gmc yukon stiff power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello friends. I was posting because I came upon a sudden problem with my power steering.. recently did an engine swap and took the power steering pump out to fix the seals in the variable steering sensor at the pump. Bled the system but when going at low speeds like trying to turn out my driveway or turn into a parking spot. Steering gets excessively hard. On the road I have no problems steering fine. It's only when I'm going slow or at a complete stop. No whining at all. When I put on Jack stands the steering has no problem turning but when on the floor it gets so hard. Harder than any old car I've driven with no power steering. The pump had no issue prior to removal. Besides a small leak on the sensor at the pump. I do not want to put the bypass on the pump.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
took the power steering pump out to fix the seals in the variable steering sensor at the pump. Bled the system but when going at low speeds like trying to turn out my driveway or turn into a parking spot. Steering gets excessively hard... ...The pump had no issue prior to removal.
Reassembled improperly?

Pull it back apart, see what's wrong.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took it apart and reinstalled and still causing the same problem. When I try and turn it while parked on the ground it won't move at all but on Jack's it does. If I give it gas it intermediately works but then stops. Ima pull it off again and take it to get rebuild. It's probably not building enough pressure

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You removed something. Therefore you induced a new problem. Of course off the ground ( no load friction to overcome) steers easy. When moving steers easy, does not require a lot of hydraulic to steer when moving, physics.
Did you only touch the vari valve, or did you take pump apart?
You rechecked all fluid lines routed to correct ports. How do know you reassembled the steering sensor correctly?
No pressure build at all. Either the steering sense is dumping all the pressure or you misrouted the fluid lines. Or broke the sense valve.