97 RCSB Engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koolademan22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i rebuild my 5.7l to a 383 port heads run 1.6 rockers and a mild rv cam plus headers what else could i do to get more power and better mpgs

Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
A 383 won't get good mpg regardless of what you do. More dispacement means more air in, which needs more fuel. No way around that...for performance you'll have to give us more details on the motor you have and the heads you have, cam you want, intake, etc... for us to help you out more

koolademan22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 383 won't get good mpg regardless of what you do. More dispacement means more air in, which needs more fuel. No way around that...for performance you'll have to give us more details on the motor you have and the heads you have, cam you want, intake, etc... for us to help you out more

its all stock for now

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you want to do...with a good cam and VERY LIGHTLY ported Vortec heads you should be able to put out around 375-400 hp and 400-450 tq. Just be aware that in order to run a cam with higher than .470 lift you'll need to either swap springs and retainers, or have some machine work done to the heads.