'97 C1500 4L60E to 4L80E Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Things are about to start happening, finally! Got re-grouped after my Vegas trip, just called my mechanic and the truck is going in to start the swap on Tuesday morning of next week. His shop is about 30 miles away, which I'll be driving the scenic way so as to keep the RPMs reasonable in second gear. Super excited right now!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Took the truck out of storage today and drove it to the house so I could check the tire pressure and load it up with parts before the trip to the shop tomorrow morning. It is DUSTY. The parts pile is pretty impressive when it's all in one place!

You must be registered for see images

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm excited to see how this turns out and for the truck to be back on the road. I'm contemplating swapping to an 80e when my 60 quits. Keep us posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not as excited as I am, I guarantee it!

I'll definitely keep the thread updated. I'm going to try and remember to bug my mechanic about the driveshaft and U-joint specifics when we get to that point so I can post that stuff.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not as excited as I am, I guarantee it!

I'll definitely keep the thread updated. I'm going to try and remember to bug my mechanic about the driveshaft and U-joint specifics when we get to that point so I can post that stuff.
4L80E is 1-11/16" longer than the 4L60E.
On some extended cabs you can get away with reusing the stock length 2 piece. I've seen a couple regular cabs be able to reuse their stock DS where others had issues and had to get it shortened..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just dropped it off! It made the trip just fine in second gear. Got to take a nice scenic river road drive and barely ran into any other traffic. If everything else goes that smooth I'll be set! :lol:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got an update from my mechanic just now. The 60E is out. He set the 80E in to test fit and everything looks good except the driveshaft, which we saw coming. Thanks to everyone here who pointed that out. He's brainstorming some options to make everything work and is going to update me once he's got it figured out. He said whatever we do it's going to have to be shortened for sure. Apparently the yoke on the 80E wasn't exactly what he was expecting to see, either. He asked me to clarify the specs of the donor truck so he could do some more research. Wish I would have taken some better pictures of the yoke side of the 80E before I dropped everything off so I had it to look at. If anyone has any input on the matter feel free to chime in. I told him I'd look into it some more as well and let him know if I figured anything out, but driveline stuff like this is unfamiliar territory for me. I'll probably end up going with whatever solution he feels most comfortable with.

Just out of curiosity... I know a custom driveshaft would be expensive, but that would pretty much eliminate any further complications like conversion U-joints right? Would it be stupid to do something like that now if I'm planning on swapping a 14 bolt SF rear end in down the road? Just throwing some ideas around.