'97 C1500 4L60E to 4L80E Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking to swap from a 60E to an 80E in my red '97 C1500. Yes, it's a V6. Yes, I really want to do this.

Long story short, the stock 4.3L V6 blew up its second 4L60E today. This one was substantially built as well. I have been transformed from an indifferent party to a full blown 4L60E hate monger.

I've been searching for detailed threads on the swap, but all I can seem to find are threads about swapping 4WD trucks. I'm trying to put together a list of parts I'll need to get everything done on my '97 2WD. It looks like any 4L80E from '97-'99 should work.

My PCM is already tuned by Black Bear Performance, so I can have them take care of that issue. (I think? Is my '97 PCM capable of controlling the 80E?) Nelson Performance makes a jumper harness with a speed sensor so I won't have to re-pin anything in the harness. (Except maybe the two pins for the speed sensor, does anyone know where those hook up?) Will the stock torque converter from a '97+ Express 2500 van with the 4.3L/4L80E work OK for me? What about the odds and ends? I'm assuming I'll need a new set of cooler lines, new shift cable bracket, and new inspection cover based on what's in the fourwheeler.com article on this subject, but I have no idea which specific part numbers to look for. And once again, that article was based on a 4WD truck.

I see people mentioning that the transmission crossmember needs to be altered so that the 80E will clear, how so?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking into this on my 95 Yukon as well. From what I can tell, the speed sensor can swap right over. The lines should swap over, maybe an adapter for the threads? Shift cable bracket should swap over.

For the crossmember, I have the holes drilled 2 inches behind the existing crossmember so I don't need to drill anything, just slide it back and bolt it back in. Look behind yours and if you have the holes, you're good to go. You will need a new yoke for the driveshaft to slip into the 4L80E as the yokes are different, but the u-joints are the same. No need to swap anything else on the driveshaft.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear about the crossmember. That's what I was most worried about honestly. I'll check and make sure I have the holes next time I'm over at the shop where it's parked. Thanks!

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear about the crossmember. That's what I was most worried about honestly. I'll check and make sure I have the holes next time I'm over at the shop where it's parked. Thanks!

It's basically the same swap as the 4wd, but you don't have to mess with a front driveshaft.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just sent an email to Black Bear to verify that they can tune my '97 PCM to control the 4L80E. If all goes well there I'll be calling my mechanic to bounce this off of him, see what he has to say on the matter.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4L80E crossmember in my 1/2 ton and they are a little different from what I have been able to gather. Good news is they are pretty easy to find and should bolt right in.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also good to know. I'll have to look into that further. Maybe I should round one of those up before I start the process. Speaking of the crossmembers, does anyone know if they're different between 2WD and 4WD frames? What about between 1/2, 3/4, and one tons?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black Bear just emailed me back, they can tune the '97 PCM for the 4L80E, no problem.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just called my mechanic, he's up for it. We're doing this. :waytogo:

EDIT - Just to clarify things, this truck is a standard cab long bed. Most of the people with 2WDs who have done this swap are short bed folks, which has got me wondering about the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is awesome! I'm contemplating swapping my burb to an 80 when the 60 goes. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk