97 c1500 4.3l/4l60e to Ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MALJr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Why I want to swap the engines:

A few years ago I bought a c1500 from a family member and it wasn't in the best condition. That I know of the motor was replaced with another junkyard one and so were a few other components and it sat for a few years on and off. I used this truck as a daily driver for a year and a half and I fell in love with the truck as some people do. But now the truck sits in my driveway because of a few problems like Brakes, Transmission, Engine.

I have done some research and decided to swap the old 4.3 for ls style truck motor. and I would like some info on doing the swap

Specifically:

1. If I can or cannot use my existing transmission? and why?
2. The fuel system. any info would be helpful

What I have planned:

Engine:
Gen 3 5.3l LM7 or 6.0l Lq4 both DBC
Gen 4 5.3l LMG unknown on the what AFM it has
Gen 3 4.8l Cheapest choice

Transmission:
Existing 4l60e in my truck currently
4l80e

Performance:
Preferably everything stock (for now)

Rear end:
Gm 8.5in 3.73

Engine Control:
Stock Ecm/flashed

So any additional info from personal experiences, any tips that will help me down the road, Some references I should contact or read up on that'll help me, what to avoid, even what parts to buy.

Thanks greatly.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your tranny will work just fine. Your fuel pump is adequate. DBC gen 3 would be the easiest .