97' 4.3L Engine Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the information I see, the TBI 350 he's looking at only has 40 ft lbs more torque than his current V6. I think people really underestimate the 4.3L and think if it's not a 350 then it's junk. The 4.3L isn't fast but it's a good truck motor. Mine, with a V8 air cleaner, k&n filter, TBI spacer, pod spacer, hypertech air cleaner base, and dual exhaust made 130 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque on a freshly calibrated dyno at the wheels with TBI through an automatic and the truck had around 200,000 miles on it, maybe 190,000 I can't recall. It's now got the ridges ground off the throttle body and the timing is advanced 4 degrees, those 2 things done the most for it so if I was guessing it's probably 135 hp and the timing increase seemed to help the torque a lot, it's probably at 210. Technically the peak torque is unknown because the max reading was at the lowest recorded RPM. So it probably had a little more anyways. I even have a set of discontinued Edelbrock headers, still haven't got around to putting them on yet. I'm probably the 4.3L biggest fan. I have considered swapping it out multiple times but I always back out of it. I just hauled 2600 pounds last week in it, didn't even break a sweat. It's hard to think of a reason to swap it out. Especially when you already have the '96+ cam and heads. That's an automatic 25 hp increase from my truck if it was stock.

jcronk69

Reaction score
I just looked up ther horse power ratings.
your 4.3 vortec makes 200 hp
the 1993 5.7 makes 210 hp.
(info according to cars.com)
Hardly seems worth all the effort for 10hp
My last truck was a 93 with a tbi 305
My current truck is a 98 with a vortec 4.3.
The 4.3 has more power than the old 305. The TBI system really choked those engines and the heads weren't that great either.
I would say either keep the 4.3 you have if it runs well, or save up for a 96-98 vortec 5.7 for a real power upgrade! (250hp!)

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not the TBI limits power, it's the cam and heads. The TBI works pretty much as well as any fuel injection. I'm sure there's not much of a difference.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay so i have a 1997 chevy W/T 2WD single cab shortbed with the vortec 4.3L engine in it. and iv come across a 1993 GMC 4WD surburban with the 5.7L my question is how hard would it be to make the 93' 5.7 work in my 1997 chevy truck? the suburban is complete so i have the wiring harness and computer it just needs more work than its worth but the engine runs great. i thought id remove the 5.7 do some freshening up on it and then then work towards mounting it into my truck.but would the 93' wiring harness work with the rest of my truck like the dashboard, transmission, and since the suburban is 4WD can i get by without using parts of the 4WD harness?

Hey everyone I sorta have the same question I have a 97 chevy c1500 work truck with the 4.3 5 spped manual transmission... I want to put something with more power into it. Whats the best option that's not to complicated for a newbie.. I'm looking for a engine but don't now what to put into that's won't coast me a arm and a. Leg I habe about 5k for this replacement any suggestions anyone