96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
WARNING: NEWBIE INPUT BELOW!!!
Considering a Whipple for a '96 shortwide project, thanks for all the write-up on yours.
Have you considered a Water/Meth kit for towing? It'll drop those EGT's and pick up fuel economy at the same time. Snow is one company that makes 'em and they're affordable.
I'm actually considering an E-85 build at 12.5:1 with the Whipple, should be no need for an intercooler (I hope!)

atlk2500

Reaction score
Hey, I like your truck. I'm kind of new to this site and I stummbled across this thread. Boy do I have alot of ?s for you. I purchased a 2000 K2500 crewcab about 6-8 months ago, it didn't run the way I thought a big block should so I got to looking around. I tried the 411 swap but the wiring on my 2000 is different than the earlier years and my truck kept throwing a O2 sensor code. I put the old computer back in and had tune it for me, it made alot of difference in the way it ran. In my search I ran across an old article of the Whipple Supercharger install on a 98 2500. After the tune on my old computer I said to myself if I ever ran across a Whipple kit I would buy it. Low and behold I own one know. I would really like to talk to you and pick your brain a little

atlk2500

Reaction score
Whipple Supercharger

Somehow all of my post didn't make it in my first post. What i tried to say is I just got finished installing the Whipple Kit on my 2000 k2500 with Bosch 42lb. injectors, Voliant cold air kit, stock plugs and wires, new fuel pressure regulator. Nelson Performance tuned me a computer. First few runs everything went great. Then I threw 2 codes p0172, p0175 rich bank 1 and 2. What do you think might be the cause of the rich condition.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not on here often, but I wanted to give an update. The supercharger has for the most part been very trouble free. For the past 2 years, it has been kind of a set it and forget it with reliable performance. It also recently made it past my smog test, and I live in California!

Unfortunately, it is running very poor at WOT right now. The key symptom is the truck is boosting higher than it was and the truck is stumbling at WOT. After research, the real only way this can happen if everything else is ok is the cats are in bad shape, i.e. partially clogged. This increases back pressure which increases the boost level of the supercharger. Upon reading, a lot of cats aren't designed for the higher temps that forced induction brings. I had some Magnaflow cats on there. They must still be breathing some, as they got me past smog, but they must be partially clogged to be blocking flow at higher rates.

I am going to pull the rear half of the exhaust (past the y-pipe) or have some test pipes welded in to confirm its the cats. I am 99% sure it is. I'll update this thread when I find out.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somehow all of my post didn't make it in my first post. What i tried to say is I just got finished installing the Whipple Kit on my 2000 k2500 with Bosch 42lb. injectors, Voliant cold air kit, stock plugs and wires, new fuel pressure regulator. Nelson Performance tuned me a computer. First few runs everything went great. Then I threw 2 codes p0172, p0175 rich bank 1 and 2. What do you think might be the cause of the rich condition.

Have you figured this out yet? Are you running a WB02 sensor to confirm what the stock 02 sensors are reporting?

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's mine 97 owned from new
You must be registered for see images attach

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dale take a temp gun check before the car then right after a big temp diff the cat is stopping up. When u run in a boost state on a long pull towing the tune will be fat up fuel and the cats don't like that

86454k30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Dale so I saw you had your truck up for sale, did you decide to keep it? I am getting ready to whipple my 98 you have provided some great info here!

Did you need to install new cruise and throttle cables?

Last edited: