96k3500 454 Whipple Supercharger build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my tuner confirmed that he only thinks I should run 1 heat range cooler and gap down to .030. So, I will run the PTR5B-15 gapped to .030. We'll see what happens.

I am going to have to pull the passenger side inner fender to get to the RH plugs; the charger is dead smack in the way now.

Here is kind of a cool picture of the truck in action at our beach campout last weekend.

You must be registered for see images

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome picture, truck looks good, should be a beast when you get it all figured out!

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, update.

I went with a range cooler of plug and got away from the platinums after doing a lot of research on supercharged setups. I guess the platinum plugs tend to foul easier which is made even worse when coupled with a cooler range plug. A lot of people seemed to prefer more conventional plugs in aftermarket boosted applications.

The stock replacement v-power plug for the Vortec 454 is a TR55 gapped to .060. That's probably the same for the Vortec 350s too.

After doing a bunch of research, I went with V-Power TR6s and gapped them to .030 per my tuners spec. Those are like THE plug for a lot of supercharged applications; I was surprised to find how widely they were used; from corvettes to imports and everything in between. Changing plugs was a bit of a pain with the supercharger in the way but I was VERY HANDSOMELY rewarded.

The truck is running AMAZING. AMAZING. Somehow my EGTs are lower and my IATs are even lower by a few degrees; I wasn't expecting that necessarily. The truck pulls so much harder now so that means that I was misfiring and/or predetonating ever since I have had the supercharger on. The stock AC Delco Platinums I pulled confirmed my suspicion that I was predetonating.

I can't even explain how hard the truck pulls now. It spins the tires up no problems from a stop (with no power braking) and I can hit 75-80MPH onto the freeway on a standard onramp without an issue. I am guessing that my 0-60 times are between 7-8 seconds. I will confirm that soon. I will have to get some new vids too.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ran the truck around a little bit. My 0-60 times are somewhere around 8.25~8.5 seconds and I still think I have some minor tweaking to do. See that dip in my throttle position sensor between 80% and WOT? You can see how my RPMs and speed dipped a tiny bit and the AFR bumped up just a bit. That slowed me down. I need to figure that out. I definitely put the pedal to the medal on that one so the TPS should have linearly reported up to 100%. I can probably get under 8 seconds if I figure it out.

You must be registered for see images

That puts my truck, a 16 year old 110k mile 7,000# lifted truck on 37s as fast as modern diesels (2011s, 2012s) off the showroom floor that are still on stock wheels and tires.

The supercharger took nearly 2 seconds off of my 0-60 times.

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how well does that volant intake work? i have a k&n on mine but it is kinda trashed now. i also have the 454 vortec

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Volant is ok. Kind of pricey and there is factory lead times so they take a while to get. They are a true CAI and pull air from the fender like the factory box which is nice.

I am not sure if the performance is really there. I would get a tuned ECM before I did the CAI.