96 Z71 slow build - "Black Widow"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my new-to-me 96 Z71 "Black Widow". I plan on doing a lot of stuff to her, but nothing fancy or earth shattering. Just want to get things cleaned up, add a few minor things, and get her running like a top. She's my DD for winter and rain (I'll be riding my Sportster as much as possible...).

1996 Z71 3-door
Currently has 17" Escalade wheels
185,700 miles, supposedly had a new motor at 146,000
5.0L / 305
Kenwood CD/USB Stereo
Underhood storage box
Reel light
Dual exhaust
Bed liner
Toolbox
New AGM battery 2/17/2014
Transmission resealed 2013
AC recharged 2013
New alternator 2013
New starter 2013
New plugs/wires 2013
New distributor cap 2013
New timing chain 2013
New Goodyear tires 2013
New Taillight/headlight housings 2013
Deep factory tinted windows
Factory sliding glass
Power windows/locks/mirrors/steering

To do:
DONE - Get a once-over by dealer to give me a list of fixes that need to be done (some steering/braking issues going on), and verify the motor size/condition
Replace missing console button
Replace cassette holder with cup holder
Remove overhead storage tray and add overhead console (not sure if the tray is factory or custom? - pics soon)
DONE - Sand rust spots and paint bed rails before adding bed rail caps and install tool box
ORDERED - Replace trunnions and other assorted pieces in tailgate hinge
DONE - Replace factory tape player with Kenwood CD/MP3/USB
DONE - Add subs under the seats (just chopped up my old box to get it under the rear seat)
DONE - Replace CD slave unit with pocket
DONE - Fix vent visors (needs new tape)
Various sand and touch up spots
Fix rust on bottom of doors and rockers (not too bad, hopefully just sand and touch up)
Replace Escalade wheels with something better
Black out the bowtie (either paint or buy one from LMC)
Maybe try the fan upgrade (5 blade to 11 blade)
Try the "Big 3" upgrade
Upgrade all interior lights to LED
K&N filter
Maybe try the alternator upgrade down the road
Electric fans
Upgrade mirror with a temp/compass mirror
Add factory keyless entry
Heated mirrors
DVD player for rear (kids)
Hail damage to hood, hoping fix-a-dent can get it good enough for now
Fix oil cooler line leak

attachment.php

Last edited:

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today I took her to the dealer and got some good info for the most part. Mechanic said it's a very solid truck, motor sounds great, no major problems. Only minor things to fix are oil coolant lines are leaking a little oil, and there's a sway bar link that is broken. My steering/braking issues are apparently a result of some flat spots in the tires where the PO let it sit for a while (he was in the national guard). So going to go ahead and get tires balanced just to be safe, and drive it for a few weeks and see if the flat spots shape back up.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday I finally got to work on the brake/tire/vibration problem. Turns out the passenger caliper was completely seized and closed so that the brake was always ON. The pad was worn about 80% down. The driver's side caliper wasn't much better. About 80% seized, just barely had any play at all. Put new pads/calipers/rotors on both sides, bled the brakes, and all my braking/alignment/vibration/wobble problems were fixed completely. Like driving a brand new truck. Hoses looked to be in perfect shape so I didn't change those.

Old calipers/pads/rotors
attachment.php

Everything off and anti-seized
attachment.php

New pads/rotors/calipers
attachment.php

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spent some time on the truck this weekend. Sanded the bed rails and bed with a disc sander to get all the rust spots out (nothing bad, just surface), then shot it with some rustoleum. Reinstalled the bed liner, installed new bed rail caps (Dee Zee from Amazon, $90), replaced factory stereo with Kenwood CD/MP3/USB player, replaced slave CD player with a dash pocket from Amazon, and removed the Cadillac center caps from my wheels (looks better IMO...)

I forgot to take a pic of the new head unit so I'll upload those later...

Bed rail after Rustoleum spray
attachment.php

New Dee Zee bed rail cap
attachment.php

Tool box (came free with truck)
attachment.php

How she sits as of now...
attachment.php

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the before and after for the stereo head unit upgrade.

Before, with dash removed.
attachment.php

After, with Kenwood CD/MP3/USB stereo and new dash pocket from amazon.
attachment.php