96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So, as some of you may know, I recently purchased my Dad's 96 k1500. Growing up in this truck I always knew there was something special about it. But what I found while installing my body lift and 35s from my old 93 really got me thinking...

Heres a pic before...

You must be registered for see images attach

Heres a pic after...

You must be registered for see images attach

So anyways, what I found to make me think this truck is different is... I found skid plates, like, Z71 skid plates, so I look at the codes and sure enough, it's a Z71. Moving to the back of the truck, I find an axle with not 10 bolts, but 14... My question is, how common was it for a k1500 to come from factory with a 14 bolt. BTW, 4x4 decals are the only thing the guy at the paint shop had when it got resprayed, about 13 years ago... Its kinda cool IMO to find out that the truck is a true Z and it has a 14 bolt.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Its not un common but its eefinattely more rare mine came stock with a 14 bolt but ive probably had 8 that came with a 10

Reaction score
Okay, that clears things up a bit. My 93 has a 10 bolt so it was a shock finally crawling under there and having to do a double take at what it was. Haha