96 tahoe 4wd going for MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maverick

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to this forum so i thought i'd start bye introducing my project with a question.

My uncle and i recently got hold of a 96 tahoe ls 4wd. DAMN. Love the truck and its BADASS. Its got the 5.7 vortec and all and in GREAT shape.

Its a Daily so our goal is fuel economy. We really want to push this thing as far as we can and are willing to do some SERIOUS work if nescesary. I'm open to just about anything so let loose on ideas.

My question is....
What can be done to this Tank of a truck to make it a bit better on the dino juice?
I was thinking the 5L head instead of the 5.7? stuff like that.

Thanks in advance for contributions to our project

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cut out as much weight as possible and then get a blackbear tune and ask him to turn the egr on earlier and do not do a 5.0 head it will up the compression and make you run high grade

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Realistically:

Full tune up, plugs seafoam, engine tuning etc etc.

Weight reduction, seats carpets headliner spare tire, tools etc

The lighter your tires, the higher the psi and the least aggressive tread the better they roll. I would stick with 245s

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure it is running perfectly. lose as much weight as possible. Keep the stock sized tire and run a all season no aggressive tires. Make sure tire pressure is at the rated amount for that tire and that all 4 are the same. A free flowing exhaust will help as will a good air intake. The best mod for better mpg is the good ole driver mod. Use a light right foot and you should be doing good. Keep that bad boy around 55-60 on the highway and you will be well on your way to decent mpg gains.

maverick

Reaction score
Will do on the tune up...

As for seafoam, i've heard great things about it but never actually tried it. Still a bit skeptical so if anybody has any first hand experience post it up cause i'd like to get that done this weekend.
We do have the tires and max psi and then some but are looking for a lesser tread and lower ratio on the sidewall (think 70's now). Its gotten brand new filters for everything, with a k&n air filter and the top half of the air filter box removed. New oil, 5w30 synthetic, new tranny fluid and filter, pcv valve and fuel filter has all been done in the last month or so.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check this web site...
http://ecomodder.com/
There is some good stuf on there, like aero mods (belly pans, smaller mirrors, roof rack delet, and others).
Some say lowering helps
Electric fan and underdrive pulleys.
Using a block heater in the winter so you don't waste gas warming up.

maverick

Reaction score
got a bit of an issue aswell.
The bearing on the ac compressor is whining like a ***** and will need to be replaced real soon. Its just too damn expensive and i'm wondering if it can be opened and regreased, or can i reroute the belt so that the compressor isn't even being turned?