96 tahoe 4wd going for MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you have to do on this model is go get the shorter belt and put on it but when you do take the idler pulley off as well so more mpg and more hp if thats what you want

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers, dual exhaust, go with high flow cats and mufflers, don't straight pipe you will loose lots of low end torque when you do, you will free up a lot of air flow with this and also a K&N intake. Take a look at this thread aswell. 350 TBI Thread. It is an awesome thread and will give you basically everything you need to know and what you can do to increase flow, resulting in more power and better fuel mileage.

A vette servo is also something you might want to think about, I will eventually be doing it and it will help your trans shift smoother and more efficiently through first and second. There are like $20 shipped and you can get them from ebay here. There is also a thread here to help you install the servo.

Last edited:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i don't understand how dropping the idler pulley will increase power and mileage. it makes no sense to me and this is the first time i have heard of it.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHen I got the truck it was running at a very pocket unfreindly 22L/100km(about 10.5 mpg), now its at a very reasonable 16L/100KM(about 15mpg). Ive done a full tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, high power coil, serpentine belt), seafoamed it(swear by that stuff now), all synthetic fluids in the truck, took off the topper and the pipe rack, keep the tires at 40PSI, Ive flipped the air filter cover upside down(trailer park cold air intake :D) and I got the exhaust done with a flowmaster muffler and some mandrel bent piping. If youre looking for 25-30MPG.....as far as Ive heard. You could try lowering it and a flat underbody, smaller mirrors, carbon fiber body panels(just kidding) but weight reduction will be your biggest helper. Good luck with your project.

maverick

Reaction score
on a full tank we get about 4 hundred something kilometers. And by full tank i mean 3/4 tank cause of the fuel pump being an issue if its less than 1/4. Is that normal or is it just our truck?

Also, i get this weird whining noise from the back end, near the diff after it turns over. Nothing seems to be wrong but as soon as the truck starts, it kicks in. Maybe a crappy aftermarket fuel pump?