96 silverado sas swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
stock GM hangers eh? I have yet to hear of this

yes, stock 73-87 front spring frame hangers for the front of the spring, the rear hanger is the swing shackle hanger from a 73-87 2wd flipped upside down, gm used 3 different height hangers so you have to make sure you get the short ones.

rear hanger like this, it was a early mock up picture so it was still rusty

You must be registered for see images attach

i have longer 52" springs so i had to put the front hangers on the end of the frame, it has 2x6x1/4" square tube on the front of the frame to support it but in most cases you would be using the shorter 47" springs and the hangers are supported by the frame

Last edited:

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sry to hijack your thread op but outalne and a few others should get a sas sticky together.. as far as a general list of parts

Sent from my camo'ed GS3

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you find a ford D44 and want the 6 lug, the 70's chevy stuff can be hard to find at times, full size jeeps (j trucks and waggoneers) from 76-91 front D44's are also 6 lug and will also swap over, you will need to take the entire knuckle out and swap since the spindle is 6 bolt and the ford is 5.
All parts from the jeeps and the chevys are intechangable.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm another one running the stock oobs hangers, along with the stock 52" rear springs and front driveshaft. All together Im around 7-8" of suspension lift, my front brackets are mounted 1-1.5' below frame rail so lower is possible.

I was able to use the shocks and extended brake lines from my 6" IFS lift.

Like outalne said you will be able to keep the upper control arm mounts, but factory shock mount will have to go, its just on to much of an angle. For that low of lift you will have to cut the front lower control arm mounts out so the springs will clear the frame.

My original plan was to pull my bodylift and run my 35's but ended up getting a great buy on some 38" boggers. I clear them no problem with the 8" suspension and 1.5" bodylift, front axle is about 1-2" more forward then stock IFS placement. Also I would recomend upgrading the rear axle to a 9.5" 14 bolt if still running a 10 bolt.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
So you guys are using 73-87 rear springs up front?

yes, i have 73-87 52" long 8" lift rears up front with a add a leaf to make up for the big block weight and i made my shackles longer to utilize all the arch the springs have to get more flex out of it, when i had my 40's on it i could get to the end of the rti ramp if i disconnect the shocks

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This sounds like a good budget way to get a SAS.... do any of you guys have build threads on any sites... if so, links?

Reaction score
My rims have a pretty deep offset, I'm not exactly sure how much but my tires stick out about 2-3 inches past my fenders with 12.5 wide tires and I would probably stick with my 35s just because It is also my daily driver

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score