96 K2500 Suburban 454 dyno run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmoreaux1

Reaction score
I have a K2500 Suburban with the 7.4 vortec engine and will soon be doing some upgraded so I figured I might want to document the gains with real proof. Today I ran a few times on the dyno to create a baseline. The truck has 210,000 miles on it and runs great. I wanted to run it completely stock but I changed my exhaust up a little before I could pull a few numbers. Plans are a zz502 cam swap, injectors, ignition, and cai. I have a 0411 pcm on the way from Lextech.

It has a hypertech programmer which I believe changed nothing as the previous owner bought it and I have changed from its tune to stock and can't notice a difference. It also has a k&n style filter. As for the exhaust last weekend I decided to install a Magnaflow muffler and eliminate the cats. I also found a huge kink in the exhaust that I removed along with the pipe that ran next to the front catalytic converter that was heavily clearanced.

After welding up the exhaust and the truck runs noticeably better and sounds great. I took a few photos and a video of it on the dyno. Which I will post shortly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

rmoreaux1

Reaction score

Here is a shot of the front cat removed and the pipe braced so I had no movement when removing the cat.

rmoreaux1

Reaction score
Sitting on the dyno. My buddy just bought this potable dyno and we ran it outside because we could. He is adding an addition on the back of his shop for the dyno. The also have a full machine shop and engine dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9A-KEmDFY

It' strange because we had to lock the converter in because it locked in by itself on the first few pulls. We ran in second to keep the driveshaft from spinning too fast. I don't know if it's normal for it to lockup in second with full throttle.

Last edited:

rmoreaux1

Reaction score

About what I expected for basically stock. We were going to log the a/f ratio and overlay that into the graph but didn't see the point for stock tuning. 0411 pcm is due here tomorrow, so that will be changed next weekend.

I will get a comparison overlay for his 6.0 and my 7.4. It's funny because when the 454 is on the slope down his is just starting to make power.

Last edited:

rmoreaux1

Reaction score
Yes, a remote turbo is the plan. Currently I have a tuning issue after the pcm swap.

rmoreaux1

Reaction score
The graphs are posted in the photo in post 5.

Update, after the pcm swap I tuned the truck and also installed a pcm swap on my buddy's suburban. My wife decided to buy me a turbo for valentines day. You have to love that. I chose a single 78mm turbo from on3performance. These are china turbos but have great reviews, I have the ability to balance the t wheels, so using a cheap turbo isn't a concern for me. I purchased a set of FORD RACING 47LB FUEL INJECTORS and accel ceramic boot spark plug wires. The wires are great. The injectors and turbo will arrive in a day or two.