'96 5.7L Z71... Just got her and need ideas!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan

Reaction score
Just picked up a super clean '96 Chevy Z71 Extended cab for basically chump change. It only has 101K miles on it, and it is probably one of the cleanest stock K1500's around my area.

I bought it off my wife's Step Father. He bought it brand new in 1996 with 4 miles on it! He's a very OCD type guy, and all his vehilces are immaculate! He let me take it off his hands for next to nothing. I've been looking for a stock 96-98 extended cab for years and come to find out he had one in his freaking garage. Its by far my favorite body style and I cant wait to get this beast up in the air and sounding mean.

Please pile on the suggestions and even advice on this truck! I want to hear what y'all have done to yours to make it standout, and any heads up you can give me on repairs and maintenance issues is much appreciated.

I've had a couple Blazers in the past I used to play in the mud, a '91 K5 with an 8 inch lift on 38's, and a murdered out '88 K5 only lifted 4 inches with 35's, but sadly they are long gone and I needed this baby to scratch that custom truck itch.

I'll put some pictures of my new girl up soon!

Thanks guys. I'm new to GMT400, any advice is much apprciated!

*****I need to name her too! Help me out.

-Logan

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lets see some pics! We are definitely in very similar situations. I am doing a complete tune up on mine (spark plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter, oil, pcv valve, upgraded brakes, fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor). I am also going to get rid of all the things that make the truck look older (door trim, chrome around the fenders, Chevrolet badge on the tailgate). Good luck with the build and make sure to take pictures along the way.

Logan

Reaction score
Lets see some pics! We are definitely in very similar situations. I am doing a complete tune up on mine (spark plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter, oil, pcv valve, upgraded brakes, fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor). I am also going to get rid of all the things that make the truck look older (door trim, chrome around the fenders, Chevrolet badge on the tailgate). Good luck with the build and make sure to take pictures along the way.

I'll throw some pics up soon! But I just did bassicaly all you just said to mine right after I picked it up. I've aready replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, complete oil change, oil filter, cabin air filter, intake air filter, new front rotors and pads, shoes for drums,spark plugs and distributer cap, AC tune up, idler and pitman arm, ball joint, tie rods, and sadly had to do the rear main seal and oil pan seal too. Sounds like a lot, but I knocked it all out in about 2 Saturdays and she's running like a freaking dream. I like the idea of stripping the trim and bringing it more up to date on looks! Thanks man!