95 K1500 350 - Miss/hesitation problems for past 2 months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It's probably better to use wd-40 or starter fluid....alot of carb cleaners that i've seen are as flammable as water.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ew man that sucks. I would know I've got the same type of problem going on with my EGR. Code 32 egr failure, which it will miss and bog at cruising speeds but it doesn't shudder and miss at a stop ever. You got to get a OBD 1 scanner on that thing!

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check intake for leak... open oil cap spray carb cleaner while the motor is running... if it revs up intake gasket is leaking... my 96 is doing the same thing, but with 250k on the motor im not touching it lol...

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check your intake mani gasket... take a can of carb clean (has to be flammable) and spray it around the mating surface of the heads and intake manifold... pay attention to the idle, if it raises then your gaskets bad... its a shot in the dark but without seeing your truck run this is my 2 cents. the gaskets prolly fine but checking is cheap... also, did you replace the fuel filter?

yep im with his thinking.....

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hmmmm, what's with opening the oil cap?

Spray a heavy concentration of the flammable stuff where the manifold and heads meet and also where the manifold meets tbi....though I cant say I've ever seen that gasket go.

Red95K1500

Reaction score
i had same issue with my 95 and it came down to the EGR, we blocked off the vacumn lines to the EGR valve and it has ran like a new truck, it does throw a code evey other day or so, but that just sounds exactly like what i was going thru.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, those vacuum lines are bad about deteriorating and splitting....if they don't show splits on the outside, they could still be internally split causing air to leak through.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmmm, what's with opening the oil cap?

Spray a heavy concentration of the flammable stuff where the manifold and heads meet and also where the manifold meets tbi....though I cant say I've ever seen that gasket go.

ive been a GM tech for 10 year, over the years you find stuff that quick and easy... it works!! just because the head is hot dont mean it will flame up... it dont take much when there is a leak it will find its way there fast.. if you dont like this idea you can always take it to a shop and have it smoked!! but this is going to cost you way more then a $4 can of carb or brake cleaner an 10 mins of your time.. smoke testing a truck with out the line hook up takes time to set up... most shops around here charge $95+ a hour.. sooo you can count on paying 2 hours this is just my 2cents....

95_1500

Reaction score
Appreciate all of the help guys.

I have had it on a live data scanner back when the problem first started but it wasnt all the time, might be worth it to try again. Bad thing is live data only goes so far on 95 and older. If it was a vortec I could see a lot more with the scanner on it.

When I started it this morning it wasnt stumbling very bad but still noticeable, pulled the EGR vacuum line and no difference as well as the solenoid line. I will check the intake gasket next when I have time.. Working 13-16 hours 6 days a week leaves little time for stuff like this.

One thing ive noticed is that on a rainy/humid day it seems worse so im back to thinking it has to be electrically related also. If the intake gasket check does not show any signs then I will pull the distributor and such one last time just to see.

95_1500

Reaction score
One thing that makes me wonder is i have never had the check engine light come on so this whole thing has just been a PITA.

Will check back when I get some more troubleshooting done.