95 K1500 350 - Miss/hesitation problems for past 2 months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_1500

Reaction score
Sorry this will be a long post but I just came across this site and might as well make my first one here worth it..

I have researched high and low on FSC and general searching for a solution and done everything I can think of at least 5 times over.

The service engine light is not on and checking the codes myself by jumping A and B on the OBD showed no stored codes.

Since September my gas mileage had been going downhill rapidly so early January I decided to change my plugs, it had been around a year since I did it last.

The gap on the ones i pulled was about .050 and when I put the new ones in (AC Delco CR43TS) I did the recommended .035. About halfway home (8 miles or so) I was at a light and noticed she was idling funny and dropped 50-100 rpm for a split second. Accelerated from the light and it was missing/hesitating horribly. Sometimes it idled so bad I was worried it would shut off at a light, but to this day it has never actually died on me.

The next day I checked the cap and rotor, they had some corrosion on them so I replaced them (AC Delco) and it seemed to fix it mostly except the occasional RPM drop and shuddering idle was still there.

Later that day I replaced the wires (Autolite, store didnt have AC Delco in stock) with no difference.

Checked all vacuum lines and began to focus partly on emissions.

List of all items and order in which they were replaced replaced and results:
-Map sensor and vacuum line to intake - No difference
-Fuel filter - No difference
-ICM - No difference
-Ignition coil - Ran decently for a while but still wasnt right. Pulled and double checked the plugs again and it went back to the missing/hesitation. Re-tightened plugs and double checked that all wires were seated properly and got it back to the "almost right" running.

-EGR pintle moved freely with vacuum hand pump so I gave it a quick cleaning and replaced the EGR solenoid

So after all of that i'm still here with the shuddering idle, RPM drops and maybe once a day it will hesitate for a split second upon accelerating.

Next on the list are IAC and CTS.

Tomorrow before work I will go over the whole ignition system again since all of this started with the plug change.

I will say that the problem is where most any "normal" person wouldn't notice the engine shuddering during idle or the rpm drop but this has been my baby for the past 6 years since I got her.

Once again sorry for the novel but after 2 months of troubleshooting and wasting money I couldnt hold off posting any longer.. Any and all troubleshooting advice for me to try until I get my tax returns Friday would be GREATLY appreciated.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
put some good spark plug wires on it. my truck about the same thing. i done full tune up with all good parts except wires. they were omni spark wires. they made it run worse with a constant miss. put some name brand wires on it and now it runs perfect!

95_1500

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I will pick up a set on Friday before I place my order with Rockauto. I have oil cooler lines leaking and plan to also get the IAC and CTS since the prices can't be beat and it will top off my basically full tune-up i've already done.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont forget to check over the distributor good. I had the pick-up coil go on mine and it would cause a miss/hiccup, espeically when damp out and at cruising speed.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It could be you IAC, but I hate just throwing part's at a truck to fix it, you really need to put an obd1 live data scanner on it, and see what's going on.

Last edited:

95_1500

Reaction score
Dont forget to check over the distributor good. I had the pick-up coil go on mine and it would cause a miss/hiccup, espeically when damp out and at cruising speed.

When I replaced the ICM it was a toss up between it and the pick-up module so that is still a possibility.

This guy was having the same issue not to long ago. Turned out to be the IAC, so thats my guess.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?3070-Don-t-know-what-to-try-next

Thanks for the link, some good info there. I have been slowly leaning to the IAC also.

It could be you IAC, but I just throwing part's at a truck to fix it, you really need to put an obd1 live data scanner on it, and see what's going on.

I agree 100%, it has been so aggravating replacing part after part with no results. On the plus side with 98.5k miles I may as well go ahead and replace everything while it is on my mind and have "my version" of a real tune-up taken care of.

On another note the truck seemed to run halfway decent all day so I feel like it could be the EGR or IAC getting stuck some of the time and working some of the time. I could stop 7 or 8 times and it be fine but the 9th or 10th time I come to a stop it will be shaking and what-not.

Once I tear into her I will let you all know the results. Thanks again for the help!

95_1500

Reaction score
Well I did the IAC and put some Delco wires on, spent about an hour running the wires so that none are touching brackets or crossing each other at the distributor cap.
Still has a shuddering idle.

I saw someone mention the Delco #1 rapidfire plugs being good, what do you guys think of them? Considering switching them since this started with the plug change.

Setting up an apt. with the muffler shop next week to see if my cat is getting clogged, a suspicion I have had for a while.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have really good luck with the ac rapid fire plugs, I have used them for year's!