95 c1500 RCLB Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjslaunwhite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey, new to the site, not new to these trucks lol, bought a 95 silverado c1500 reg cab long box 2wd from a freind for $540 ca, cab and bed are in great shape, a few spots on the frame are bad but its getting swapped anyways

got stock 350 TBI, only thing done was the filter cover was flipped

the bad: needs pitman arm and idler arm replaced, both new ones came with truck and once the snow melts a bit outside ill swap them in
-both rear cab-mounts need to replaced, i usually use 1/4 steel plate and weld up new ones
-both fenders replaced, pass side is rotted around the 'well and the drivers side is damaged (see below)
-driver side door. the guy i got it from backed into a snow bank with the door open and destroyed the door/fender, his solution was to drive some screws into it and perm shut it, i got it to open and not catch to badly, got tired of crawling out the pass side lol

inspections good til may 2015

plans:

-im gonna be building up a complete 4wd frame and a rebuilt motor. , starting with a k2500 frame, picking up a second 350 tb and redoing all the internals myself, 3" susp lift + 2" body lift and a set of either 33's or 35's i haven't fully decided yet. then ill be swapping my cab and bed over to it.

work will be here and there as at the same time im building up a 03 Saturn ion and renovating a 1978 mobile home

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I like your plans, but I'll throw it out there that the 3" lift kit is a glorified crank and block. At $600ish for the 3" rcx and $180-200 ish for the body lift you are about $200 short on a 6" rcx lift kit at $900-1000. You will benifit and save money down the road. GOODLUCK on the build and subbed for updates.

mattjslaunwhite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98_k1500, ya i read thru your build, awesome work, glad to see a fellow "wont take it cant be done for an answer" i want to keep it LB, just bc of the sheer awesomeness of the size once shes lifted. (got the Saturn for a DD so i can go all out on the 1500) and scott, you make a good point, ill look into it but iv been doing some pricing and piecing together and i can do the 3" lift for next to nothing (helps having 2 good friends that own junkyards lol) but, was talking to the wife and basically sold her on 35's so a 6" lift might be a better investment, iv got a set of used but still got decent tread 31's coming to me for free so ill slap those on till then. waiting for the snow to clear up before i can really start tearing into it, we got 20+ cm's a few days ago but by sat its supposed to go up to 9c

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Just a note...they DO NOT make 3" lifts for the 8 lug trucks...the only place that actually makes a lift for them is Pro Comp and technically only a 6" lift according to them...However since the pro comp lift is very similar to the RCX lift it can be set up as a 4" lift via decrank and not installing the rear blocks/aals the kit comes with.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I appreciate it, If you want it long bed, go for it. I built mine to be a dd/weekend warrior and i did'n want a long bed. If you have the time and a few tools, you CAN do anything you want with it. I shortened mine with a grinder, a drill, and a set of normal hand tools. Nothing fancy at all. Only thing i welded was the driveshaft.

mattjslaunwhite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note...they DO NOT make 3" lifts for the 8 lug trucks...the only place that actually makes a lift for them is Pro Comp and technically only a 6" lift according to them...However since the pro comp lift is very similar to the RCX lift it can be set up as a 4" lift via decrank and not installing the rear blocks/aals the kit comes with.

mines only a 5 lug, or do you mean if i use a 2500 running gear?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
mines only a 5 lug, or do you mean if i use a 2500 running gear?

If you were to use a 2500 frame as you planned....tbh you would be much better off looking towards doing a solid axle swap to convert your truck to 4x4. You can use old square body gm axles since you are not limited to using a driver's side diff due to transfer case.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
If you have access to a friend's junkyard you are better off putting a solid axle under it. The bracket kit is $500 and since it is a 2wd it would be easier going with a 73-87 chevy front rear and transmission and transfer case.and you would have 3" of lift built in. Then you just need a 3" block out back.

Sent from Robl@nd