'95-'98 grill in a '88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That last pair of pics looks like a 3500HD that's been kissed in the front. The gap is supposed to be there, but it should be even all the way across.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
It is actually a '94 with the 95-98 grill..maybe they moved some stuff around or used the proper brackets?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a standard 94 w/t grille.
GM are notorious for mix and matching **** on transition year trucks. Or maybe someone did as you suggested, who knows....

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Dunno where you got the idea that a 94 uses a different grille setup than a 95 but you keep saying it. :D They're the same. 93 is the old style.

Richard
ah so 94-98 is the "newer grill style"--- I figure that since the model refresh for the interior etc is in '95 they would have done the grill at that point.. I guess they started the grill earlier..

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno where you got the idea that a 94 uses a different grille setup than a 95 but you keep saying it. :D They're the same. 93 is the old style.

Richard
ah so 94-98 is the "newer grill style"--- I figure that since the model refresh for the interior etc is in '95 they would have done the grill at that point.. I guess they started the grill earlier..
Model year 95 is the midcycle refresh. Interior changed as did the grille. There are some build date 94's out there with updated parts, but m/y 1995 was the first year of the updates.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Model year 95 is the midcycle refresh. Interior changed as did the grille. There are some build date 94's out there with updated parts, but m/y 1995 was the first year of the updates.
IIRC from what I've read on here, 94 models have the new style grille, but older style interior ( what I call the iMac dash). Still TBI motor. 95 models are also TBI, but have the new style interior. 95 HVAC controls are 1 year only; 96 went to the newer type. I think the transmissions are year specific on 94 and 95 as well.
I've talked to people with 94 and 95 trucks, and they say that is the main thing they don't like about them is the year specific parts. 96 is when vortec and OBD2 came in.
Getting back to the point of the thread: everything I've heard and read says that the grille swap requires the matching filler panels and lights. Possibly different bumper brackets too?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC from what I've read on here, 94 models have the new style grille, but older style interior ( what I call the iMac dash). Still TBI motor. 95 models are also TBI, but have the new style interior. 95 HVAC controls are 1 year only; 96 went to the newer type. I think the transmissions are year specific on 94 and 95 as well.
I've talked to people with 94 and 95 trucks, and they say that is the main thing they don't like about them is the year specific parts. 96 is when vortec and OBD2 came in.
Getting back to the point of the thread: everything I've heard and read says that the grille swap requires the matching filler panels and lights. Possibly different bumper brackets too?
I agree that's the common theme on here, but everything I've learned prior to what I've read on here, including buying a 95 in 96, and a stint at a GM dealer in the early 00's has taught me that m/y 95 is the midcycle refresh...
Agreed about the annoying lack of interchange for many parts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I agree that's the common theme on here, but everything I've learned prior to what I've read on here, including buying a 95 in 96, and a stint at a GM dealer in the early 00's has taught me that m/y 95 is the midcycle refresh...
Agreed about the annoying lack of interchange for many parts.
I've been looking at trucks locally online, and for several months, there's been a preponderance of 94s and 95s. Maybe some people can't justify spending $$ on the year specific bits? I'd have to think on it myself, unless the truck was a damn good deal for the bux. ( or a 2 door ute like that's gonna happen LOL)