'95-'98 grill in a '88

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a search here and couldn't find anything..What do I need if I want to install at 95-98 (2 headlight) grill in '88 2 headlight grill? I heard I would need 95-98 bumper brackets?
Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
NO but you will need the later model lower grill trim piece,
LOL this subject always gets tripped up. YES you need the 94-up brackets, not all four of them, but just the two main ones directly forward from the frame rails. The outer two do not change.

The reason you need them is the 94-up bumper/grille filler strip (the trim piece you mentioned) is deeper, and the 94-up brackets are a little bit longer to allow for that piece to fit correctly.

Richard

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL this subject always gets tripped up. YES you need the 94-up brackets, not all four of them, but just the two main ones directly forward from the frame rails. The outer two do not change.

The reason you need them is the 94-up bumper/grille filler strip (the trim piece you mentioned) is deeper, and the 94-up brackets are a little bit longer to allow for that piece to fit correctly.

Richard

Richard I think you have more entries in the "infamous truck folder" than anyone else on this board. I am definitely adding this one. I have found so many versions of how to use the later grill on the earlier truck and this one makes sense.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen the 94-up grille hacked onto an 88-93 without changing the bumper brackets; it's definitely possible. It does not look right, but I think some people don't notice or care. I've seen one that used so many self-tapping screws it was almost hilarious, but sad. That was to attach the 88-93 filler strip to the 94-up grille.

Richard

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
It also seems that the plastics they used (on exterior pieces) on the 95-98s is a better quality and more durable. I also noticed this when I switched door handles.just a observation lol

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hello guys, I was at the u-pic yard yesterday and I found a nice uncracked bumper/grill filler panel from a old canteen truck. It appears to be a 2000 year model but seems to use the same grill components as a 95-98? Can I use the filler panel pictured to install my 95-98 grill in my 88-94 setup? I also found some exposed (less work to remove) potential bumper brackets it was from a 95-98 body. From what you you describe bumper bracket #1 (in the picture) is the only one required? Is there anything else I should grab?
Thanks!

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I've seen the 94-up grille hacked onto an 88-93 without changing the bumper brackets; it's definitely possible. It does not look right, but I think some people don't notice or care. I've seen one that used so many self-tapping screws it was almost hilarious, but sad. That was to attach the 88-93 filler strip to the 94-up grille.

Richard
I did see one of these deals yesterday. It appeared like he didn't us the properly spaced bumper brackets. I will take some pictures the next time I go to the yard.