94 K1500 build part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the start of nice weather for 2012 has started, and that means time to tear down my truck again.

This is the first picture of when I picked her up for $700 (it was either $600 or 700, cant recall).
You must be registered for see images attach

After Tropical Storm Irene hit us in Vermont, I was financially hit hard - lost most of my tools in the flooding, so I got her all together and she looked like this ..

I drove her like this for the winter, and January 1st, my bad luck returned and I lost a leaf spring while driving. Luckily I was only doing about 20mph so when I noticed my tire rubbing against the bed I pulled over fast. Found out the overload spring had some how flew out, found half of it down the road. I managed to jack the frame up and move the axle back into place, tightened the leaf springs down, and parked her. I have driven her off and on, but no long trips. Now with the nice weather returning, and I replaced most of my damaged tools, I am going to start her again. Unfortunately I do not know where to start, and my head is going several different ways.

I started an excel sheet of 24 things of what I want to do ... I have most/all of the parts (minus the cylinder heads). Everything else I have on hand ready to install. The stepside bed I have I need to weld in new square tubing for the bed rails that bolt to the truck frame.
Here is the excel sheet -

Replace front suspension = replacing ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, torsion bars w/ 3/4ton t-bars (mine are worn), the new leaf springs I got are 3/4ton ones 6leaves. I am parking my truck this Saturday, and plan on starting the work from then until July or August (even later if needed). When I say clean the frame, I am going to use POR15 (Marine cleaner , and metal prep solution) to clean it. After I wire brush and use my air chisel to knock all the current rust off.

So - what does everything think I should do first? Obviously I will do the body work/painting at the very end, but I don't know what to do first. I don't know if I should do the transmission first, or if I should start with the suspension work. I also am doing all this work to get her ready for a long drive the summer of 2013 when I move to Florida. I plan on using her to haul all my stuff down there, hence the rebuilt transmission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I decided to start on the rear end - So far I got the truck parked, and removed the old bed. Hopefully I will be able to swap the leaf springs, and get the rear end ready for some discs :)

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so the frame broke on me while I was working on replacing the rear leaf springs....

You must be registered for see images

so new project is now a complete tear down and buying a frame from a junkyard, sanding it all down to metal, rust proof it with POR15, then box it in :)

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have on the way some 062 rebuilt vortec heads, and also brackets for a rear disc conversion :) .

I got the cab unbolted, and I was thinking of removing the rear end then pulling the front from the front. Then I wouldnt need to worry about pulling the engine and all that with the cab still on. I know I have to remove all the wiring and heater hoses that goes from the cab to the engine bay, and I also know I have to remove the steering and shifter linkages. Is there anything else I need to remove before I pull the frame out from under the cab?