94 C3500 350 cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a tester on between the fuel filter and TB and drove. The Guage I had only read to 20psi (it was spec'd for tbi) but it never dropped below 20psi.

Is that adequate?

If it is accurate, it's too high. I have seen many cases where cheap gauges are off significantly. Assuming your gauge is accurate, the ECM program counts on the fuel pressure to be 9-13 psi. Anything outside that window causes the system to try and compensate. Sometimes it can if it's not out by much, but it can't do it well if it's too far out. The system is not programmed for 20 psi if that's what you really have, and if someone brought that truck to my shop with driveability issues, I would correct the 20 psi situation before anything else, unless there was also an obvious sensor failure. And even then, I would still correct the 20 psi back to specs.

Anytime fuel pressure is that far out of spec, they don't run right. And you say the gauge only goes to 20 and stays pegged the whole time, if I read your post correctly. So it could be even higher.

You need to nail this down first.

Tom

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are saying the vortec pump is the issue? We just discussed this earlier in the post.

I'm saying you need to know for sure what the fuel pressure is with a confirmed accurate gauge. 20 is too high, unless you have a tune that requires it to be that high. Spec on that TBI system was 9-13. They don't like 7, and they don't like double the pressure at 20 either. If it reads 20 and your gauge only goes to 20, how would you know if it was 30 or 40?

I'm not saying the Vortec pump is your problem. I never tried one in a TBI system. Maybe it will work. Maybe the fuel pressure regulator will dump all the excess flow back to the tank no problem. Maybe it won't. As I said, I never tried. But I can say that those engine's computer system doesn't like 6 or 7 psi of fuel pressure, so there is no reason to believe they would like 20 psi or more. Understandably, 99.9% of the time we would see low fuel pressure problems on TBI systems as opposed to an excess of pressure. But I have seen several MFI systems with excess pressure, and they didn't like it at all. At all.

What I have done is repaired thousands of those trucks and TBI systems on other vehicles through 35 years as an ASE Master and Advanced Driveability Technician. They always ran great as designed. Personally, I would rather have a "K" motor TBI system over an "R" motor MFI any day of the week as a daily driver personal vehicle. They were far more dependable, cheaper to maintain over the life of the vehicle, and will usually run far better at 150-200,000 miles than an MFI vehicle because of injector variances that build up in 8 separate injectors over time. And I wouldn't trade off those benefits for all the expense of ownership that come with the Vortec system for a 20 HP difference.

In theory the TBI regulator could handle some increase in potential pressure and flow and still maintain 13 psi. I don't know how much, or if a Vortec pump exceeds that.

In this case, I figure your 20 psi reading could be due to an inaccurate gauge, or real excess pressure. I've had previously known good gauges start reading incorrectly, temporarily leading me in a wrong direction. You need to nail this down first to diagnose your issue if you want your truck to run properly.

Tom

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the tps in, ran great for 2hrs.

Then the fuel pump DID quit and I got pissed and put my foot the the floor and the damn thing threw a rod....

FML

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, still had 130# of compression. Sounds like a baseball bat hitting a block of wood at typewriter speed now.

Guessing it lost a rod bearing or wrist pin

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, my duramax went down 2 days after the 350 so it got put on the back burner.

I have a '90 model 350 that has a little over 200k on it. It was running when parked 2yrs ago and some buddies and I have been using it for parts.

Thinking of pulling that engine and doing heads/gaskets while it's out . What else should I do before I throw it in my c3500?

Last edited:

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any ideas guys? What should I do to the old 350 to get it ready for a few more years of service?

It was running in October '16 so it's not completely shot.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New oil pump at a minimum if you're going to pull the oil pan. Maybe even pop a rod bearing cap and main bearing cap just to see what they look like. But that could just create some depression lol. But if things look ok maybe even throw some new bearings in since you'd be that far into it. Just my .02 cents

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I planned to seal the pan and do the rear main, an oil pump is a good idea and brands specifically better than others?

Is it better to buy rebuilt heads or just take them to the machine shop?