94 C3500 350 cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pressure is after the filter.

So now you are saying the fuel pump I was recommended to buy by the people of this forum is the issue?

I ordered a tps, do I need to cancel the order?

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you checking the fuel pressure while the problem is actually occurring?

And unless you've had a custom tune, I can't imagine that the system prefers 20psi to 13psi.

Tom
Doesn't matter what the pump puts out as long as it meets the supply the tbi needs. That's why there is a fuel pressure regulator built into the throttle body. With that drop at mid throttle your describing with the tps sensor test that points me even more at the tps. Now if the truck wouldn't start you could disconnect the tps and see if it would start (that's what mine did,as it was bad on the low end of the scale) tps aren't expensive and easy to change. A t15 Torx bit is what I believe it is.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what the pump puts out as long as it meets the supply the tbi needs. That's why there is a fuel pressure regulator built into the throttle body.

That's an incomplete statement. The fuel pressure regulator cannot raise low fuel pressure caused by a pump that can't keep up as demand increases. It is not an uncommon scenario to have proper fuel pressure at idle, but it drops off drastically as engine load and fuel demand goes up. We measure fuel pressure, but what we are also measuring is the pump's ability to supply volume. If a pump can't supply volume under a load, the pressure will drop as volume fails to keep up with the demand.

Yes, the regulator does bleed off excess available pressure. It's been a few years since I deadheaded a TBI pump, but IIRC it was around 20-25 psi. And that is then regulated down to 9-13 psi.

It's important to know what fuel pressure is under all conditions, and that it remains constant and within specs. Too high or too low, and the system has to start compensating. And it is almost impossible for the system to compensate for low pressure before we see hesitation and low power complaints.

The OP stated he had 20 psi. If he had 20 psi removing the fuel supply line and putting a gauge on the end of it, that's a deadhead reading without the regulator or engine load in play, and means nothing. It is a useless measurement for determining if fuel pressure and volume is adequate under all loads. And if he had the proper in line adaptor to measure fuel pressure, 20 psi would be too high, unless he had a tune that required that fuel pressure.

There is an inline adaptor that goes in place of the fuel filter with a test port on it that you hook a gauge to. Then you run a 6ft. hose to your gauge and measure fuel pressure while driving. It is the ONLY way to accurately measure fuel pressure.

Tom

Last edited:

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually the OP stated the fuel pump pushed fuel under load. Which mean fuel pressure is adequate while driving (aka under load.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you didn't state it very well. It may seem clear to you, who also had the benefit of being there and seeing what you did. But for those of us who only have your written statements to tell us what was done, it wasn't clear at all how the system was tested.

99% of DIYers don't understand the role of proper fuel pressure or how to accurately measure it. You may or may not know, but it couldn't be determined from your writing. I was only trying to clarify proper procedures for you if you don't know, and for others who might read this thread with a similar problem in the future.

Tom

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not an incomplete statement considering the fact the the op was told that the higher pressure pump could be flooding his engine out. Wasn't disputing how fuel pressure versus volume plays into engine performance.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a tester on between the fuel filter and TB and drove. The Guage I had only read to 20psi (it was spec'd for tbi) but it never dropped below 20psi.

Is that adequate?

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's perfectly adequate. The tbi system only needed around 13-14 psi to operate correctly and the regulator would drop it down from whatever line pressure (within reason. Don't expect it to handle 100psi lol) to whatever it was preset at. Sometimes though the spring in the regulator will crack, the diaphragm can rip etc. the rebuild kit for the tbi from ac delco are 12 bucks and come with everything except the new spring. Have you got a new tps in yet?