93-Sierra's free 98 Silverado 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here's the scoop. In the spring, I was looking to dump my 93 c1500 and pick up a 4x4. An older guy, who is a very good friend of mine, happens to have a 93 k1500, reg cab long box. Same truck as mine, but 4x4. I bugged him to sell it to me, but he just finished redoing the whole thing last year, and doesn't want to part with it. Few days later, he calls me up and says he has a truck for me. I figured he decided to let his go, but he does one better, and says here's a 98 Silverado, have at er! He got it from a guy who was tired of working on it, and it had been sitting for 3 or so years. It has a 350/4L60e combo. So here's what it looked like when we hauled it back to my place..
You must be registered for see images attach

After getting the truck running (a day or 2 after bringing it home), I find some wheels and tires for sale on the local classifieds. 305/70R16's on offset steel wheels. Worked out perfect, as the tires that were on the truck were completely shot.

Then I moved to putting the front bumper back on, some driving lights, and painting the frame and other chassis components.

I knew the truck had some rust issues, so I started removing all the lick and stick chrome and throwing it in the trash. I found quite a bit of rust...

So now the fun begins, bodywork! yaaay :Insane: So I started cutting...

Managed to get both rockers fitted and welded. I am no body man, so my work is far from good. It is not anything to brag about, but it is better than it was, and it will actually pass an inspection now. The parts store that I always go to did not have the rockers I needed in stock, so I actually bought one rocker (slip on) for a crewcab, and cut it in half. It was perfect for the repair I had to do. The bottom half of the truck will be rocker guarded anyways, so my sub-par welding and fitment wont be overly noticeable.

I got as much done as I could, before having to come back up to work for 2 weeks. I head back home tomorrow morning, and my next job is the cab corners and lower cab on the extended cab portion. I will be removing the box so the back of the cab can be fixed properly (to a point, I'll do the best I can).

Comments, criticism, etc etc is always welcome! Let me know what you guys think! I will update this as time allows. I am also moving to a new place, and I will actually have a garage! I have 2 weeks off, so hopefully I can get at least the fabrication and welding done

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry about the sideways pictures, I rotate them in photobucket and save them, but they still show up like that...

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! It's quite a bit of work, but I only have about $700 into it so far. It has a reman-350 in it, runs freakin awesome, tons of power! Night and day compared to my dog of a truck I drive now haha

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worst case Ontario For the WIN! where are ya from? Nice build you got goin
I'm from Dryden, ON. It's 4 hours west of Thunder Bay, near the Manitoba border. Where abouts are you from?

Nice build so far. Like the project

Thanks for the kind words, all of you. I'm finally home for 2 weeks (after working 2 weeks) so I should be able to get most of the body work finished up. I'm not even going to bother fixing the box, it's too far gone for me to justify fixing it. It needs both box sides, and the floor of it is rusting out as well. I'm going to fiberglass the wheel arches as a quick fix, while looking for a new one.