93 K2500 Suburban 454 Holley Sniper Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're likely going to have some teething issues, and don't rush to blame the Holley. Every issue I had after my Sniper install was something else on the truck suddenly crapping out.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took it for its first drive, ran fine. I must have installed the new Y pipe donuts crooked, the pass side is leaking, which is highly annoying. AFR stuck at 35.6. I need to clear the Holley learn tables I think, it ran fine in whatever mode it figured out with. Has way more torque, like, I'm sure it has 500+ ft lbs now. It also pulls harder past 3000. I drove it over to the engine builders shop to return the engine lift plate he let me borrow (my leveler is at the house down south somewhere).

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Der, of course the 02 is whacked, the donut is sideways, and is upstream of the sensor. Ok, gotta fix that.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Must have burned up the O2 wideband breaking the prior cam in. It was stuck at 35.6 AFR. Overnighted a Bosch 17025 from Summit and back in business.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have got the Terminator with the GM trans controller built in and the ECU would be mounted in the cab vs on the engine itself. $3000 though just for that.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue..._kits_with_transmission_control/parts/550-408

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cleared the tune, started over, new sensor, she runs well. Added base fueling, set it to target a bit richer. I do think a longer throttle arm would help on part throttle use to make it easier to dial the pedal travel in. I set startup timing to 20 deg idle and cranking, WOT to 33 deg, on pump premium 93 E10 winter blend, which according to my 2009 flex fuel Suburban is 25-40% alcohol...

The Chinese plastic radiator #2 is leaking when cold (I suspect thermostat isn't open and waterpump puts out too much pressure for the Chinesium clamped alum plastic to hold it. Brand new, garbage. I think I'll go full alum made in America now. Had one in my 87 GN, big money, but at least it didn't leak when new. - EDIT - It helps to actually tighten the upper hose clamp - no leaks now...

I added Moroso spark plug wire separators bolt off the stock valve covers.

Painted the 454 valve cover emblems black, then sanded the 454 shiny. Turned out well I think. Removed the air filter tube to pull vac from the driver side valve cover.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to manually unscrew the throttle stop, now it idles 550. Before it wouldn't go below 780.

Cranking timing at 20 degrees - it did not like that. So I went back to 15 deg cranking timing, all good there.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, there's a procedure for setting the throttle stop. I can't remember if it was in Holley's instructions or if it was the procedure that I found from a Sniper guru that was better and more thorough than Holley's. Mine idles perfect and switches from initial high idle to normal like it should.

Holley has a video, though.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how to do it. The trouble was I was used to my Holley HP EFI that makes you do a manual TPS reset. The Sniper it is key off 5sec then key on like normal. My idle screw was 2 turns in, way too far open, hence the higher than desired idle when hot.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. It shouldn't be that far in. Mine came like that, but if I remember right, I read the instructions and backed it off to contact and then 1/2 turn in before starting.