91 7.4 tbi oil pressure gauge problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get guys i am having a problem on my build. i've rebuilt every inch on this truck and today i primed the oil system and hooked up the bat from the first time to start. but my oil pressure gauge is pegged. im pretty good with wiring but can seam to find the right wiring diagram for this truck. everything shows a two wire and something different. i have a 3 wire sensor off the front. its a new sensor and i installed a new pig tail "checked the wires were right off the old connector. i have my key on voltage on the orange wire. if i ground the tan wire my gauge dropped to o and check gauges light will come on. i haven't ran the truck yet. so i though i had a bad sensor. took it back and they double checked the part number and swapped out the sensor. i had the same problem. i have a good engine ground and all other gauges read as should. my oil pressure gauge was reading fine before i pulled the engine. my fuel pump is staying on longer then the two sec prime "about 20-30 secs". I've been over this truck all day and everything is right that i can see. only thing i dont have plugged in is my headlight harness on the bulk head but i dont see anything that harness could have to go with the gauge problem. thanks for any help.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking a the face if the connector my right wire is the orange center is tan and left is gray. the gray looks to be the control to the fuel pump relay. looks like the tan should be by its self to gnd for the gauge reading. then the orange and gray are for the fuel pump control. i even ran a jumper wire from the bat gnd to the base of the oil pressure sensor with no change on the gauge.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found it!!! i used a pigtail to repair the bad end and it was a 3 wire just as i had but the connector was for 4 wires with just a blank spot. of course my tan wire was in the wrong spot. my gauge works now.