91 5.7 TBI to Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so im tired of my TBI unit and the wires look like a mess so im going to carb.

I know i need carb,intake,hei dist., i will be taking out gas tank and running a fuel cell.

I will be using a mechanical fuel pump that goes on the motor for now until i can ged a holley red? pump i think.

This truck is going to be a crusier but more of a track truck. (1/4 mile strip)

now codes say i have a 700r4(needs rebuild) Will this work with the carb if not what trans should i got with? i want to try to keep mpg down only if i do want to take a trip to a non local track

Any help is awesome thanks

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this on my old 90 and the trans was the only problem other than horrible MPG compared to the TBI.

you can use the 700r4 but you have to get a.............just drew a blank I will have to check back what I did and get back to ya sorry....

Ok If I remember correctly you have to use a lock up kit for the TC.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70248/overview/

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok thanks what kinda mpg you getting? what was done to the motor?

I don't remember the MPG...... but the motor was tossed out and a 383 stroker replaced it...

Another thing why run a mech pump when you can just run a press reg.. and if you want to use a 350-400 trans I think you have to swap out the crosmember ( if I remember right )
heres a pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn thats clean and i hate electrical crap more stuff to go bad, eventually it will be a full on race truck but for now i just want a reliable ride and for me the tbi just isnt. i want the truck to have no electronics at all for now, i even took off the power doors and put full manual on i like the old school i guess idk

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn thats clean and i hate electrical crap more stuff to go bad, eventually it will be a full on race truck but for now i just want a reliable ride and for me the tbi just isnt. i want the truck to have no electronics at all for now, i even took off the power doors and put full manual on i like the old school i guess idk

I also like the ( old school clean look )

oh and no a/c on mine i dont need it

I live in HELL and I like my A/C lol

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A long tail/shaft TH350 is a direct drop in if I remember correctly. You will also need a TV cable corrector bracket in order for the 700r4 to shift correctly