'90 Z-71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddies getting a 1990 Z71 (350 & 700R4, I believe) and he wants to know how he could add more power/ torque. He wants to tow with it, probably heaviest thing he'd be towing is my '96 ecsb. He doesn't want too drop loads of money into it, just wants it to tow great without the loss of power. He has 3.46 gears and will be lifted 3" on 33s or 35s. Any help would put us in the right direction. Thanks guys.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definately a set of gears if he i going up in tire size. A set of 4.10's if he gets 33's and 4.56 if he goes with 35's. He could gear lower if he did want a little more power but his fuel economy will likely suffer. Theres guys running 5.13 gears with 35's but it's all really personal preferance. Here's a gear ratio chart.

http://myjeeptj.com/images/gear_ratios.jpg

LT headers, high flow or no cats, and a good free flowing exhaust would also help out a lot. Also a chip from tbichips.com I think it is would also help with the tuning. All this would break the bank though, everything together would be $2,000 or more.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definately a set of gears if he i going up in tire size. A set of 4.10's if he gets 33's and 4.56 if he goes with 35's. He could gear lower if he did want a little more power but his fuel economy will likely suffer. Theres guys running 5.13 gears with 35's but it's all really personal preferance. Here's a gear ratio chart.

http://myjeeptj.com/images/gear_ratios.jpg

LT headers, high flow or no cats, and a good free flowing exhaust would also help out a lot. Also a chip from tbichips.com I think it is would also help with the tuning. All this would break the bank though, everything together would be $2,000 or more.

Word!

Tyler09

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks, where's the best place to buy gears, and how hards it to put them in?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
They are not easy, i'm workingt with my first set now actually, i got a used rearend and it was wayyyyy out, You need a Dial indicator, Torque Wrench (like 300 ftlbs) and an in/lb torque wrench with the right sized socket (a big one like 1-3/8" or something). and probably all new bearings/shims (about a 100$ kit). and lots and lots of time and patience. But you can end up doing a much better job yourself than any shop if you are patient.