89 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently on the K1500 there were two different brake packages and I have read on reviews where guys get the HD ones and they dont fit, and vice versa, I see talk about bearing size differences and my head is now spinning in circles due to it..

Today I am going to take the wheel off and measure it and get "hopefully" closer to the end on this mystery... 11.6" seems to be only size I can find ( that is advertised anyway ) have a few more ponies going in this thing in the next month so I want to be able to stop, and brakes are such a pain with all the china garbage out there.

any tips appreciated. thanks

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It all depends on what brake option that your truck has on it now. Front brake rotors had two different options JB3 and JB5. The easiest way to tell them apart is JB3 rotors are solid non vented and JB5 rotors are vented. JB5 are more than an inch thick. F44 heavy duty chassis have JB5 front brakes

If you have JB3 front brakes and you want to change to JB5 front brakes you have to buy new hubs,rotors and calipers. The spindles are the same.

The rear brakes had two different sizes 10" and 11".

There is a thread here some where that has all the info.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, that's great info ! God forbid the parts houses know as much... it's on my hit list today and I think you may have saved me an unnecessary wheel removal, not that its a big deal,

im trying to work smarter not harder

Thanks, I'll update if i find any new exciting info.. ( that may help others)

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont see a JBx number in my rp codes. or an F44. That was the main concern, LMC is saying there are two different ROTORS, not that I am getting there stuff I was doing research there. my rotors are vented however, i just checked

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JB1 : BRAKE, MANUAL, DISC/DRUM, 4300 LBS

JB3 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 4600 LBS

JB5 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS

JB6 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 7200 LBS

JB7 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 8400 L85

JB8 : 8RAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 10000 LBS

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to share this info. Anything extended cab is relatively simple. one part # and after 92 it's all the same which is exactly what Evil said .

You must be registered for see images attach

FSUTony

Reaction score
Hey Ed. Like the truck specialy with the V8 your about to install. I dont notice a lift on it but see you have over size rims and tires. Any mods to make them fit? 1 inch wheel spacers or negative offset rims? Looks like 17x8 rims with 275/65-17 tires? I have a 92 with a 2 inch lift and that set up looks like would fit nicely. Appreciate the input thanks

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most 89 RCSB I’ve seen have the 1” thick rotors. When I did my brakes I swapped in the 2500 series calipers, gmt800 master cylinder, and new brake lines. Brakes work great now.