Stainless brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merritt31

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed Stainless brake lines from the front to the back beggining of summer 2023 and just last month I had to do some brake work and the line going into the calipers on the front were so stuck. I spent almost an hour on both sides getting them to spin and even when I did they didnt spin free.

question is do you think I could have used some regular antisieze or copper or anything else you guys think might help? When summer gets here I wanna take em back apart before they stick again to bad. I don't know that those lines can handle another hour workout.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in New Yuck, we break out the fire wrench, and not spend said hour on the fittings.

"the line going into the calipers on the front were so stuck."

Silly question: what vehicle were you working on where the steel line threads directly into the caliper? It wasn't a 400, so...

Merritt31

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silly question: what vehicle were you working on where the steel line threads directly into the caliper? It wasn't a 400, so...
Haha sorry I messed up not caliper but wheel cylinder for the rear drums.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Contact the folks you bought the "lines" from. Find out if the tube nuts are stainless, or just the tubing.
Be curious to know what grade of stainless the tubes and fittings are anyway. Anything less than 316 stainless isn't going to be all that great anyway from my understanding. At least in a harsher environment.
Was talking with my neighbor who deals in fasteners and I think he mentioned some things can't be higher grade stainless because of it's strength iirc. But can't recall exactly tbh.