89 - 1 ton / 8-bolt conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i see what your saying. i dont have a half ton 2wd to measure the width on. but im sure someone on here could measure theirs and we will know.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was at the yard, I did my best to measure the axle housing width from flange to flange and I think I got 56" on both the 1 ton and the 1500 that I measured. Then my buddy said "what you want to do is measure from the outside of the leaf springs on both" and I think I got 49"...so if my measuring was decent, that would say that they are pretty close if not a match.

I didn't have a jack with me at the time and my buddy was in a rush so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. i will try popping a wheel, rotor and spindle off of a 1500 and see if it will work on this guy.

@mike
is that picture of the truck what you were referring to with the dualies? I always thought dualies were two sets of wheels that were bolted together or something, so you have 4 wheels out back. I will shoot some pictures of my 3500 when I have a minute, but I was told that it had fender flares from a newer vehicle, it doesn't look bad.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah as far as i know the axles shouls be direct bolt ins. but like mike said 4wd may be wider. i dont know if the 3500 axle is already wider or not though.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait and research before you do anything. 1st you have a 454 under the hood in a 1 ton truck. I would highly suggest you steer WAY AWAY from replacing a 14 bolt Full Floater rear end with a 10 bolt rear end. 2nd the brakes on the 10 bolt just plan suck and you will rip the 10 bolt rear end apart with a 454. There is a reason why the factory NEVER put a 10 bolt behind a 454. 3rd even the 454 SS trucks have a factory 14 bolt, with 5 lug axles.

I am assuming you have a FF(full floater rear end), to save you some pain and agony later and to look towards your goal. I would personally put a 14 bolt sf(semi floater) axle on the rear with the same 8 lug pattern. This does several things in your benefit, you wont have to buy a whole new set of tires and wheels for a different lug pattern (unless you already plan to then this wouldn't necessarily be a pro). Also you will still have very good brakes to stop your rig, and the 14 bolt will be plenty to take care of the torque you will ever put down out of that Big Block.

It should be a no brainer swap, If your truck is 4wd look for a 4wd replacement rear end. If your truck is 2wd then look for a 2wd replacement and it should bolt right up.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just swap to a 6 bolt pattern? 14sf 6 bolt, with the early 90s C2500 front spindles = 6 lug. And ALOT of wheels come in the standard GM 6 lug pattern.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I guess im talking to you guys now then, lol.

Greg I totally agree if he wanted to put the money into new wheels and tires I was simply offering the cheapest most effective senario(sp?), b/c im cheap

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
project has just been sidelined for the moment as I'm trying to balance the household budget. I do have a built 454, .100 over, nice heads and the works sitting in the shop with $1000 left on the balance. I was hoping that there'd be a 14 bolt that would float through the "free yard" that I have access to, but I haven't seen one yet.

I do have one sourced in Maine for around $300, but I'd need to get this truck back together to roll up and pick it up.