88 suburban cummins swap or add 6.5 turbo???help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnuttz

Reaction score
I have an 88' 3/4 ton 6.2ltr 4x4 suburban it has a 6'' lift and 35'' tires. I absolutely love it and want it to be my forever vehicle.

It may one day end up with a 10'' lift, dana 60 and 44s on it, but thats another story (does anyone know how to drop transfer cases A LOT???/ i know superlift makes a 3'' drop but im lost, and love massive lift)

I received (supposedly) all of the parts off of a 6.5ltr to convert my 6.2 to turbo:: IS THIS NORMALLY DONE? / what can i expect?

I have received countless recommendations to convert to a 1st gen 12v cummins:: IS THIS NORMALLY DONE? / ll

I am not the biggest fan of "whiny" superchargers, will I get a great deal of whine with the 6.5 turbo?
IS THE 12v Cummins typically turbocharged?/ is it worth running a n/a cummins?

I am not trying to build a hotrod but if i could even move my powerband lower it would be great.

Any thoughts on regearing for acceleration? .. This will be a mild mud monster/ rv .. i dont care if I drive faster than 65mph ala i am not straining the engine.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and have experience with gassers but ive fallin in love with a tractor and IM NEW!

Any help and/or links to info would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to spend. Of you already have to 6.5 turbo stuff, that and turned up fuel on the ip would be a good power increase over your stock 6.2. Just keep boost at 10psi max with that turbo.

A cummins swap would be awesome and if your burb is the oobs, should make it even easier compared to the gmt 400 because you should have a straight front axle so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With the lift and big tires you're planning, skip modifying the 6.2. You're just gonna blow it up. Go for the Cummins.

Richard

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If you have the means, go cummins. I'm not sure on the n/a cummins. I've never looked into a n/a diesel besides the 7.3 idi ford.

bnuttz

Reaction score
oobs??
It is straight axle in the front. -- people keep saying i need a ford dana 60 because the pumpkin is on the driver side (and i sppsd need that), however, mine is on the passenger side.

--
I do want to avoid forced induction, I love the sound of the engine. Maybe a cam, heads done and full exhaust? I am running an electronic fuel pump, big filter, and medium exhaust. I am willing/ have the ability to build a motor. Probably easier for me than figuring out a motor swap.

--

Also chevy now has an 8 speed auto in the vette, I could split gears or go with an extreme gear ratio in the axles. Idk, spitballing.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you need a Chevy Dana 60...
If you don't like turbo whine, then don't even consider a Cummins swap. There isn't a truck application of a Cummins that is n/a.
Just build a big block.
As for the vette 8 spd, how much torque is it rated for?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, you need a Chevy Dana 60...
If you don't like turbo whine, then don't even consider a Cummins swap. There isn't a truck application of a Cummins that is n/a.
Just build a big block.
As for the vette 8 spd, how much torque is it rated for?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Not to mention that 8spd cost more than my house.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a GMT400 here locally running a 4BT cummins . Came out of a snap on tools truck... guy has been running it for a year now and loves it ..He had a few issues but nothing he could fiqure out . Been actaully thinking of doing to a 1999 3500 single wheel I have been stalking on craigslist . I guess really it depends on money and what is accessible to you . Adding the 6.5 parts would be kool too