88 GMC Trail/DD Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OMG I LOVE THE LIGHTBAR!!!!!!

sorry, but i have wanted to see one of those on an obs truck.......GD i want one now!!!

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's extremely impractical for road use (read "awesome" lol). The amount of light that this thing makes is unworldly.
Couple more pics for ya Squeaky...
You must be registered for see images attach

Headlights only...

With the Rigid:deal:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
To my knowledge, plain Jane models didn't come with them. Only defroster and floor vents. Models with AC and all that jazz have vents in the dash. Where the CD deck is used to just be a pocket and there was never any ducts behind the bezel or the dash. She is one of the only C/Ks I have seen in person that is this bare bones. The interior consisted of manual locks, windows, simple heat and vent, bench seat, no tilt column etc.

going back to page 4 here since i am just starting to read this thread, my 88 was a base model scottsdale with no ac or tilt or power anything, wipers don't even have delay, it also has the blocked off vent areas, works good to mount a oil pressure gauge or whatever gauge you like or even use that spot on the dash bezel as a switch panel.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry no more 4 link but don't you worry, Alcan and ORD say to expect right around 24" of wheel travel with the custom springs:D

Haven't had chance to work on it but parts are still rolling in. Chromo shafts showed up the other day as well as Yukon Superjoints.
You must be registered for see images

Stock D60 joint for comparison.

And just cause... We've been lifting the Scout.

Last edited:

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The u-joint comparison pic confuses me, the Superjoints are just a drop in 1480 replacement. The cap od and cross width should be the same, they look way different. Is it the picture or is that an internal clip joint from something else?

As someone who had a little better than 24" of combined leaf sprung wheel travel up front, it's not just the amount of articulation but how well controlled it is, how easily tuned and how it it swings. I've only got 29" of articulation now, I didn't go to a link setup because I needed more wheel travel. Alcan sold you a great spring, but there are some leaf drawbacks it's hard to get away from.

How come you didn't go to flanges with Superjoints and 'moly shafts instead of the Warn hub fuses?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kyle, to answer your questions. I plan on relocating from Upstate NY to AZ by the time snow falls which up here can come in as early as September. The goal is to drive to Phoenix with my little brother(yes the 61 IH is gonna make a 3000+ mile trip) at the end of August so he can make his first class at ASU. So due to time/money/simplicity the leafs won out and although I understand the disadvantages that come with it. I talked a lot to Steven and Chris at ORD on the set up and think it will work out better than I anticipated. It will be an identical suspension set up to the white UA K2500. After EJS this year Steven called me and we talked about the limitations he noticed and rates he was running and ended up ordering identical twins to his second revision springs. As for lockouts vs drive flanges, its a mental thing. Yes I know it's a bit half assed to run chromo shafts, lockers, superjoints and lockouts but with the amount of miles I put on the truck I wanted the option to have free spin. The truck drains a tank of 93 oct just putting around so in my mind the less drag the better. They will prob get ditched for flanges one I make it to the west coast. Good eye on the joints. I didnt even look at the cap size. NAPA brings the win again. I should learn to mic parts out before I leave the store.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle, to answer your questions. I plan on relocating from Upstate NY to AZ by the time snow falls which up here can come in as early as September. The goal is to drive to Phoenix with my little brother(yes the 61 IH is gonna make a 3000+ mile trip) at the end of August so he can make his first class at ASU. So due to time/money/simplicity the leafs won out and although I understand the disadvantages that come with it. I talked a lot to Steven and Chris at ORD on the set up and think it will work out better than I anticipated. It will be an identical suspension set up to the white UA K2500. After EJS this year Steven called me and we talked about the limitations he noticed and rates he was running and ended up ordering identical twins to his second revision springs. As for lockouts vs drive flanges, its a mental thing. Yes I know it's a bit half assed to run chromo shafts, lockers, superjoints and lockouts but with the amount of miles I put on the truck I wanted the option to have free spin. The truck drains a tank of 93 oct just putting around so in my mind the less drag the better. They will prob get ditched for flanges one I make it to the west coast. Good eye on the joints. I didnt even look at the cap size. NAPA brings the win again. I should learn to mic parts out before I leave the store.

Leafs are fine, I was just mentioning that wheel travel numbers don't give the whole picture.

Lots of flanges come with a backing plates so you can pull the slug and keep the cap on. I went that route for a little bit. I broke a Warn hub long before I hurt an 806x spicer joint or twisted the 1541h inner shafts. It's not so much half assed as spending money on a whole lot of strength and putting weak stuff at the tire resulting in no gain.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I didn't know you can run the flanges without the slugs. I wish I woulda known that. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain a lot during the build. Your rig was a big influence on what I wanted before you truggified it.

Actually question for you now. I have a twin sticked divorced 205 out of a dodge I was initially going to run before I ran into the VSS thing and bought a pass 241. Now I have the urge to try the 241/205 doubler since I have both cases and can run the pass 241 in the mean time. Is it worth attempting to mate a 241 to the divorced dodge 205 or should I start looking at other avenues. I realize Im gonna have to bore out the 205 input and switch to a chevy but thats the extent of my knowledge on making it happen.