88/94 hvac question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Timely question! I just noticed mine doing this over the last week.

Usually when I start the truck and turn on the AC I leave it off MAX till it cools down a bit. Sometimes it will automatically turn on MAX, or REC for a few moments, then turn it back off. I thought my ACC unit is starting to go or something.

Murd450

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 405 , where the fastest street cars on the pla
Mine didn't work at all till Sunday . And you being in dfw know it sucks here when the a/c don't work . I found all the blend door motors unplugged . I plugged them in and now it works . But seems to change all on its own every so often .

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've noticed mine usually does it after my truck has sat out all day at work in the parking lot; REC will come on shortly after I turn on the A/C and then turn off maybe 30 seconds later. If I later want to turn it on, it works as normal. IDK.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
"max A/C" actually is just recirc.

It keeps recycling cool cabin air to make it colder rather than drawing in ambient.

There's diminishing returns there though as it will eventually fog your windshield (from you breath being recycled). that's why it disables recirc if you're on defrost.

To the best of my knowledge, the GMT 400 AC system is a "dumb" system. meaning: you set it and it drives to that setting regardless of temperatures as it has no idea what the temps are anyways.

If it's going on and off recirc uncommanded, you probably have a repair bill in your future. Possibly the head unit as that's where the control is. Not much in there either.

Or, just run it an chalk the behavior up to another one of those "old truck" idiosyncrasies.....

:)

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"max A/C" actually is just recirc.

It keeps recycling cool cabin air to make it colder rather than drawing in ambient.

There's diminishing returns there though as it will eventually fog your windshield (from you breath being recycled). that's why it disables recirc if you're on defrost.

To the best of my knowledge, the GMT 400 AC system is a "dumb" system. meaning: you set it and it drives to that setting regardless of temperatures as it has no idea what the temps are anyways.

If it's going on and off recirc uncommanded, you probably have a repair bill in your future. Possibly the head unit as that's where the control is. Not much in there either.

Or, just run it an chalk the behavior up to another one of those "old truck" idiosyncrasies.....

The ones in my 94 and my old 92 went to max or recirc by themselves and shut off by themselves. Im pretty sure its normal

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I doubt that it's normal, probably more like a normal failure :)

Like great white stated, this is a "dumb" system; there is no automatic control of the climate control.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I doubt that it's normal, probably more like a normal failure :)

Like great white stated, this is a "dumb" system; there is no automatic control of the climate control.

Nope. It's normal

You must be registered for see images

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope. It's normal

You must be registered for see images

Well there ya go. That funky control head in the 88-94 dash must have a thermistor in it.

Mine never did it but i guess it never had to.

Proof that I don't know everything.......:rofl: