88-94 3" BL automatic transmission linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
OK I have every conflicting information in the instructions. How do you do the automatic transmission shift linkage? I am installing the PA 3" kit 88-94. PA instructions say: "a. Lenghthen the transmission shift rod. b. Scribe a line along the shift rod just above the first bend at the top of the linkage rod. c. Cut the shift rod through the scribed line. d. Place shift rod extension between the two pieces of the shift rod. Align the scribed line and weld the extension in place."

Zone instructions I made a copy of before returning it say: " remove the shift linkage connecting the steering column to the transmission. Remove the retaining pin at the transmission and remove the linkage. Loosen the adjusting bolt and slide the rod out of the adjuster sleeve."

Why am I so confused? I need a better explanation please asap.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I didn't have to adjust anything with my transfer case. All I did for the trans shift linkage is loosen it at the column and slide the shift linkage all the way down. Worked fine.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I forgot, I did remove the linkage and straighten the bend in it, probably not the best thing to do but I bought my kit used and it was for a 95-98 model and didn't come with it.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Your shift linkage has a flat spot in where it bolts on the steering column. The best place to cut it is just above the flat spot where the lower piece has just the edge of the flat spot on it. this will help with getting the rod properly clocked when you weld the extension in.

98_k1500

Reaction score
In other words, you want the top few inches of your shift linkage stock where it adjusts on the column, then your extension just before the first bend, then the rest down to the trans.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Thanks guys I understand better now, I'll just have my buddy come here with his welder and help me out.

Another question: did anyone else run into the problem of not being able line up the bolt holes on one of the driver side bed lift blocks because of a rivet securing the support beam at the rear? I'm going to grind it flat then weld it underneath.
You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

Reaction score
Don't recall that issue, but its been a while since i have done a truck. My last few have been Tahoe/Blazer/Yukons.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I ordered rear bumper brackets because in person it looks awfull! Way bigger gap than I thought! And its just straight up ugly looking. I'll make a write up for 88-94 owners with all my issues and the fixes in it to help people out.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just knotch the lift block a little on the side to clear the frame rivet. It only takes a little bit and easier then grinding down the rivet on the frame.