88 2500 and 98 2500 compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hornick556

Reaction score
I've got a 88 c2500 with a 305 that I currently drive and a 98 k2500 6.5 that has blow by and an electrical issue. I'm wondering the compatibility of parts between the trucks. Is there anything from the drivetrain I can use? The wife wants me to get rid of the 6.5. I want to have the engine rebuilt and have my 4x4 truck back but I can afford 10 grand then start paying to have the electrical fixed. Any help would be appreciated. If your interested in the 6.5 I'm near Seattle.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the electric problem ?
That's a broad spread , 2 wheel versus 4 wheel, different drivetrains. Firewall forward 80% different. Interior furniture night and day difference . Used engine, replacement ?

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 88 c2500 with a 305 that I currently drive and a 98 k2500 6.5 that has blow by and an electrical issue. I'm wondering the compatibility of parts between the trucks. Is there anything from the drivetrain I can use? The wife wants me to get rid of the 6.5. I want to have the engine rebuilt and have my 4x4 truck back but I can afford 10 grand then start paying to have the electrical fixed. Any help would be appreciated. If your interested in the 6.5 I'm near Seattle.
I think you would be better served fixing what you got than trying to swap all that out.......not to mention obd2.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What's compatible between those trucks? Body parts..

Your '88 C2500 is a 305? I'm guessing it must be a 6 lug (7200 lb gvwr) 2500, or if it's an 8 lug it has suffered an engine neutering somewhere along the path.

Richard

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in the engine oil, a quart in a full tank, and see if the blowby doesn't improve significantly by the end of the tank. Get it good and hot towing something uphill if you can.

Hornick556

Reaction score
What's the electric problem ?
That's a broad spread , 2 wheel versus 4 wheel, different drivetrains. Firewall forward 80% different. Interior furniture night and day difference . Used engine, replacement ?
Im not quite sure where the electrical problem is and haven't gone back to look since I've learned how to use the test light and multimeter. Once I can get a buddy to tow it to a different spot in my yard I will start looking. I negotiated with my wife and get another year. Also thank you for your speedy response. I thought I would get alerts in my email to remind me to come back.

Hornick556

Reaction score
I think you would be better served fixing what you got than trying to swap all that out.......not to mention obd2.
Honestly I haven't had to confidence to start fixing it. I'm new to working on trucks but am finding it to not be as hard as I thought it would be. I've been able to fix a lot on my 88 but the 98 overwhelms me for some reason. I'd love to start but when I pop the hood I freeze then screw around not really doing anything.

Hornick556

Reaction score
What's compatible between those trucks? Body parts..

Your '88 C2500 is a 305? I'm guessing it must be a 6 lug (7200 lb gvwr) 2500, or if it's an 8 lug it has suffered an engine neutering somewhere along the path.

Richard
Thank you Richard. That's what I thought. Thank you for the answer. It's an 8 lug with a 305. It isn't much but it works for my needs right now. Looking to put a 350 or 383 eventually just not confident enough to do an engine swap yet.

Hornick556

Reaction score
Throw a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in the engine oil, a quart in a full tank, and see if the blowby doesn't improve significantly by the end of the tank. Get it good and hot towing something uphill if you can.
It takes two vehicles with jumper cables and about 40 minutes to get it to turn over. My brother wrecked my jeep and gave me his truck. Drove it twice then parked it because of the blow by. It's sat about a year now. I've been a mess for awhile and am finally getting back around to it all.

Hornick556

Reaction score
It takes two vehicles with jumper cables and about 40 minutes to get it to turn over. My brother wrecked my jeep and gave me his truck. Drove it twice then parked it because of the blow by. It's sat about a year now. I've been a mess for awhile and am finally getting back around to it all.