8 lug to 6 lug swap ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Iam thinking maybe I'll be towing weight wise with trailer and vehicle max 8k anything bigger ibe got diesel buddys. My 98 k1500 tow a 4x4 2 Door Tahoe lifted on 35s from Tracy ca to Sacramento ca just fine did 55 the while way home didn't miss a beat. So that would be the most I'd do with this setup if u do this swap.

I haul 8-9k enclosed with my 1500 in sig. If there were an easy way to do 8 lug I would, though up front I wouldn't gain much with that.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What engine and what rear gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing 454 TBI/4.10s?

8k trailer would probably be okay if you go with the 6 lug 14BSF axle. Are you going to run P or LT tires on your rims? And you may want to look at the rim weight rating. That may be your limiting factor. I don't know anything about aftermarket wheels, so maybe not a problem?

I forgot 55MPH was the towing speed limit in California. I haven't bee out there in a long time...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock aluminum wheels are only good for 2000# a pop. The steelies take a good bit more, and my aftermarket are rated higher too.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm the other way around: I want to convert my 6 lug project Silverado 1500 to 8 lug for the 14 bolt, LOL.

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
What engine and what rear gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing 454 TBI/4.10s?

8k trailer would probably be okay if you go with the 6 lug 14BSF axle. Are you going to run P or LT tires on your rims? And you may want to look at the rim weight rating. That may be your limiting factor. I don't know anything about aftermarket wheels, so maybe not a problem?

I forgot 55MPH was the towing speed limit in California. I haven't bee out there in a long time...

I've got 2003 lq4 6.0 and a 4l80e going in its soon not sure yet on what gear ratio iam gana go with

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 2003 lq4 6.0 and a 4l80e going in its soon not sure yet on what gear ratio iam gana go with

Ok, gotcha. So I see why are trying to hang on to your truck, LOL. You can't usually do an engine swap due to emissions crap the great state of California has in place, right? Something about a smog referee? I didn't even know such a thing existed until reading about it here, LOL.

BTW, your current tranny is a 4L80e, right?

I believe the standard ratio of those 6 lug 14BSF were 3.73s. Not sure if they came with others. Both 3.73s or 4.10s would be okay, unless you are running a small outer diameter wheel.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
My 92 k3500 has bolted on adapters to make the front axle a dually wheel compatible and you can unbolt the spacer for a single wheel style rim. I have a SRW 14 bolt FF from a 94 Suburban 2500 I'll trade you for the Dually axle. Kind of a long trip though...

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are any of you guys checking the the factory weight ratings on the door frames and the glovebox door. It does give the wieght net ratings. Cargo, in vehicle; and gross combined with towed wieghts. If you make the choice to pull wieghts that are way over the capacity of your vehicle you are running increasing risk. Increased wear, heat friction axle pinion gears. Stopping capacity, fading brakes. Trans fliud heating. Why not stop reinventing the wheel just get a set of 2 wheel drive, single rear wheel 3500 series front spindles, and same series rear hub, drums, axles. That would be as if you ordered it with heavyweight capacity but single rear wheels. Then its just some external parts not alot of major rework and engineering
Just look up the parts diagram. Its GM, a hell of alot easier thanother brands

miles0

Reaction score
I just changed my 98 crew cab longbed c3500 over to C2500 suspension all my other Chevy truck in the yard are all 6 lug an I got tired of hunting for 8 lug rims when I have plenty of 6 lug to choose from but I started with a c2500 4.5 lift spindles..then I adde the 6 lug rotors , steel braided break hoses (optional) and a combination u joint to marry my driveshaft to the 2500 axle..so spline,rotor, axle,u joint is all you really need to go to 8 lug to 6 lug on a 2wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
Ok, gotcha. So I see why are trying to hang on to your truck, LOL. You can't usually do an engine swap due to emissions crap the great state of California has in place, right? Something about a smog referee? I didn't even know such a thing existed until reading about it here, LOL.

BTW, your current tranny is a 4L80e, right?

I believe the standard ratio of those 6 lug 14BSF were 3.73s. Not sure if they came with others. Both 3.73s or 4.10s would be okay, unless you are running a small outer diameter wheel.

As of right now my crewcab is a roller I haven't install the motor yet. My truck was a diesel so it doesn't have smog at all ever. That's also another reason why I dont wana sell its.