8 lug to 6 lug swap ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
So I have a 1993 c3500 crewcab titled as a diesel so my ? Is iam not a fan of the dully look up front and or rear. Iam gana swap in a 14 bolt semi float in the rear and do a disc brakes conversion. My ? Is for the front I wanted to ask what people if anyone has done the front swap. I was thinking of using 4x4 steering knuckles so the front hub is now sealed and a bolt hub or would that not work any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im a little confused. You have a 2wd? And you dont want the dual wheel front? You can simply replace the DRW front rotors with SRW rotors. The caliper stays in OE location, with OE pads.
The 2WD DRW rotor is basically an extension anyway, just get a set of SRW rims.
It's called a phantom dually.
If you went with a 4x4 knuckles, you'll need new calipers, bearing assy's, brake hoses, and somehow a pair of grade 8 bolts to torque the bearing together.

Why would you downgrade the rear axle?
If you're putting SRW wheels on the rear, what're you gonna do with the rear dually fenders? If you take off the DRW extensions, you have huge, ugly, open fenders. They're cut out larger than the 2wd flairs.
Or you're buying a new/used pickup bed...

Honesty, it'd be cheaper or easier to sell the dually and buy an actual SRW truck.

As for the rear disc conversion... why? Theres nothing wrong with rear drums and, when adjusted properly, the brake pedal feel is better than 4 wheel disc. They last longer and the parking brake is MUCH more effective.
In order to swap in 4 wheel disc, you'll need a new master cylinder, install a proportioning valve, and new rear steel and rubber hoses, brackets. Then there's the swap kit, rear axle seals, gear oil...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So is it the lug count you want to change or just the dually look? Easier to convert the truck to SRW as Nad pointed out, but the 6 lug thing may be doable with light duty C2500 front knuckles. Seems bass ackwards to me and doesn't solve the rear dually bed.

What?

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking of swapping to dually set up, though it's a 98 compared to your 93.

However, my 98 is being re-built/freshed and will need 500 mile + break in and Cali isn't that far.

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking of swapping to dually set up, though it's a 98 compared to your 93.

However, my 98 is being re-built/freshed and will need 500 mile + break in and Cali isn't that far.

From my understanding 88-98 all parts are interchangeable but iam do some more research

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
Im a little confused. You have a 2wd? And you dont want the dual wheel front? You can simply replace the DRW front rotors with SRW rotors. The caliper stays in OE location, with OE pads.
The 2WD DRW rotor is basically an extension anyway, just get a set of SRW rims.
It's called a phantom dually.
If you went with a 4x4 knuckles, you'll need new calipers, bearing assy's, brake hoses, and somehow a pair of grade 8 bolts to torque the bearing together.

Why would you downgrade the rear axle?
If you're putting SRW wheels on the rear, what're you gonna do with the rear dually fenders? If you take off the DRW extensions, you have huge, ugly, open fenders. They're cut out larger than the 2wd flairs.
Or you're buying a new/used pickup bed...

Honesty, it'd be cheaper or easier to sell the dually and buy an actual SRW truck.

As for the rear disc conversion... why? Theres nothing wrong with rear drums and, when adjusted properly, the brake pedal feel is better than 4 wheel disc. They last longer and the parking brake is MUCH more effective.
In order to swap in 4 wheel disc, you'll need a new master cylinder, install a proportioning valve, and new rear steel and rubber hoses, brackets. Then there's the swap kit, rear axle seals, gear oil...

Not selling the truck because iam in California and this one has no smog at all cause it's got a diesel title. Yes it also is a 2 wheel drive also took me 2-3 years to find its. So I've got a crewcab short bed frame in storage so iam doing a frame swap. So it's will become a ccsb. I was told the 14 semi float 6ug will tow just fine, also iam gana be rolling around on 22s. I need the best brakes possible all the way around. Also I was gana upgrade all my the brake lines anyways. Also seeing if I can adapt some big front brakes off a newer year truck if possible just need to some research and r and d.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna be towing? So, going with a heavy duty truck designed for towing, and downgrading it for towing? Hmm, OK. If you want 22s, there is more selection for 8 lug than 6. I wouldn't do anything to the current truck, do the work on the CCSB frame first, then swap body motor n crap over. Already mentioned how to convert to single, and as for brakes, there are companies that have big brake kits, just not sure bout 8 lug stuff. Do a search, you'll find something Im sure. But as others mentioned already, adjusted correctly the brakes on the 1 ton stuff is pretty good. I could lock up 40" boggers on a 1 ton I had...and no rear discs.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SRW hubs and brakes up front, full float SRW 14 bolt in the rear, new bed. Sell the parts you removed. Done

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not selling the truck because iam in California and this one has no smog at all cause it's got a diesel title. Yes it also is a 2 wheel drive also took me 2-3 years to find its. So I've got a crewcab short bed frame in storage so iam doing a frame swap. So it's will become a ccsb. I was told the 14 semi float 6ug will tow just fine, also iam gana be rolling around on 22s. I need the best brakes possible all the way around. Also I was gana upgrade all my the brake lines anyways. Also seeing if I can adapt some big front brakes off a newer year truck if possible just need to some research and r and d.

Boy, this has got to be the worst "un-swap" project I've heard of, LOL. But to each it's own.

So the best brakes are going to be the DRW, then SRW, then 14 bolt 6 lug. I'm talking factory setup. So you can't have your cake and eat it on this one, unfortunately.

The rear is easy. 14 bolt semi float 6 lug from a 2500 Light Duty.

The front will probably need the entire front suspension from the same C2500 Light Duty or a C2500 8 lug including steering knuckles and control arms. Maybe between the 2 you can piecemeal a working set for you. I think some guys here have upgraded front suspension on their 1500s to 2500/3500, and the control arms are different between the 2, because knuckles are different? Someone may want to confirm this statement...not sure where the 6 lug knuckles fall in this, or if can fit the 6 lug hubs into your existing 8 lug knuckles?

I helped my brother swap a 14bolt 6 lug into his 90 C1500. His donor was a '97 C1500, and we discovered there's a break in production trucks on the front brakes from 88-91 and '92+, so he had to get the knuckles as well. Something to be mindful of as well.

I hope this helped. Good luck.

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
Boy, this has got to be the worst "un-swap" project I've heard of, LOL. But to each it's own.

So the best brakes are going to be the DRW, then SRW, then 14 bolt 6 lug. I'm talking factory setup. So you can't have your cake and eat it on this one, unfortunately.

The rear is easy. 14 bolt semi float 6 lug from a 2500 Light Duty.

The front will probably need the entire front suspension from the same C2500 Light Duty or a C2500 8 lug including steering knuckles and control arms. Maybe between the 2 you can piecemeal a working set for you. I think some guys here have upgraded front suspension on their 1500s to 2500/3500, and the control arms are different between the 2, because knuckles are different? Someone may want to confirm this statement...not sure where the 6 lug knuckles fall in this, or if can fit the 6 lug hubs into your existing 8 lug knuckles?

I helped my brother swap a 14bolt 6 lug into his 90 C1500. His donor was a '97 C1500, and we discovered there's a break in production trucks on the front brakes from 88-91 and '92+, so he had to get the knuckles as well. Something to be mindful of as well.

I hope this helped. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Iam just being difficult and different lol. Iam basically take my c3500 longed dully and convert its to a c2500 shortbed. The only reason I thought about going 6 lug was the wheel choices. If it's not doable then I'll just leave the 8 lug setup and find some wheels I like in 8 lug