8 lug semi float 14 bolt disc brake swap with gmt800 rear brake setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerome3521

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped in the rear disc brake setup from a gmt800 with an 8 lug 9.5” 14 bolt semi float? Please explain why it will or will not work, or what you had to do to make it work.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you saying a whole axle, rotor across to rotor or just the brake parts? Some of the newer trucks the caliper mount is part of the axle tube.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would expect the spacing to be different and maybe the bolt pattern. I think it would be better to swap the whole axle, but you'll need to move mounts.
This.

I've got a 14 bolt 10.5 FF from a GMT 800 2500HD. I was going to swap into my project truck, but it never happened.

I also have a '00 K3500 and I've pondered on swapping on it. The newer axle Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS) is 1/2 wider. The spring pad perches have to be removed and rewelded as the frame widths are different. I haven't looked into the brake cable or hydraulic hoses... maybe I'll look it over the holiday.

Mine happen to be both 4.10/G80, so no regearing. But as @Schurkey implied, it's a lot of work, especially since my K3500 is not "broken!"

I would think the full float vs semi flat swap would be similar, so probably worthwhile to add that as option... me thinking there's more full float than semifloat axles out there in that generation of trucks.