8.1 Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
8.1 is a doggy low rpm torque motor. It isnt meant to go fast its meant for brute strength, and thats what it does. Its almost as heavy if not as heavy as a duramax at 2/3rd the power and 1/8th the fuel milage. If your pulling 15k lbs to town a coupletimes a year go for it. If you want to take a 35 foot toy hauler camper to the virginia mountains get a duramax. If you want to lay down impressive numbers at the track 6.0 swap. but if you go 8.1 have fun getting 8-9 mpg though

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Never said the 6.5 was a better engine now did I? a ford straight 6 will do it to. Go ahead, swap your 8.1, and when you have no aftermarket options to stop half ton 5.3's from wasting you, dont come crying about it.

8.1 is a doggy low rpm torque motor. It isnt meant to go fast its meant for brute strength, and thats what it does. Its almost as heavy if not as heavy as a duramax at 2/3rd the power and 1/8th the fuel milage. If your pulling 15k lbs to town a coupletimes a year go for it. If you want to take a 35 foot toy hauler camper to the virginia mountains get a duramax. If you want to lay down impressive numbers at the track 6.0 swap. but if you go 8.1 have fun getting 8-9 mpg though
A big block weighs as much as a duramax? First I've ever heard that one. You must be new to the internet. I'll give you a hint, if someone disagrees with you don't let it consume your life! Don't get so butthurt you have to make up facts and random insults.

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
A big block weighs as much as a duramax? First I've ever heard that one. You must be new to the internet. I'll give you a hint, if someone disagrees with you don't let it consume your life! Don't get so butthurt you have to make up facts and random insults.
Have you ever done anything past changing your own oil? You realize this is an iron block 496 right?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Occupation badass? Okay. Now I understand everything
You're making a fool of youself lol I'm guessing you're 15 or 16. Drive your daddy's truck. And read on the internet.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Only if you have "blow smoke" in your bio lmao

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
Not tryong to be a badass, Im 21. I work for a delivery company. We haul sheds gazibos and other wide loads. My last job was landscape. We had 2 2001 Sierra HDs witb they 8.1. Aside from filling up twice a day it was an OK truck. It was a pulling pig. But it was slow as hell and if you were haulimg a dump trailer full of topsoil you had to put it to the floor to get out in traffic. our other two duramax trucks had no trouble passing people with a loaded dump. We had one 6.0 but it just pulled around lawn care trailers theother two were 350 vortecs and a 6.4 powerstroke. I wrenched on all of them and replaced the valves on both 8.1s. They might not be quite as heavy as a dmax but they are very heavy. Theu shure as rode better than the 6.0 truck. Ill give them that. but unloaded the 6.0 would have walked away.